About Me

My photo
Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada
I am a lawyer in Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada who enjoys reading, especially mysteries. Since 2000 I have been writing personal book reviews. This blog includes my reviews, information on and interviews with authors and descriptions of mystery bookstores I have visited. I strive to review all Saskatchewan mysteries. Other Canadian mysteries are listed under the Rest of Canada. As a lawyer I am always interested in legal mysteries. I have a separate page for legal mysteries. Occasionally my reviews of legal mysteries comment on the legal reality of the mystery. You can follow the progression of my favourite authors with up to 15 reviews. Each year I select my favourites in "Bill's Best of ----". As well as current reviews I am posting reviews from 2000 to 2011. Below my most recent couple of posts are the posts of Saskatchewan mysteries I have reviewed alphabetically by author. If you only want a sentence or two description of the book and my recommendation when deciding whether to read the book look at the bold portion of the review. If you would like to email me the link to my email is on the profile page.

Friday, July 8, 2011

The Brutal Heart by Gail Bowen

48. - 458.) The Brutal Heart by Gail Bowen – Joanne Kilborn and her paraplegic husband, Zack Shreeve, are doing well. The series is evolving into the Kilborn and Shreeve series. Her older children are moving ahead in their lives, Taylor is a blossoming teenager and her grandchildren (Lena and Madeline) are adorable. High class call girl, Cristal Avilia is murdered. Joanne is shaken when she learns that, prior to their relationship, Zack had availed himself of Cristal’s professional skills. There are an abundance of prominent Reginans whose pasts are exposed by her death. In a very credible way Joanne and Zack deal with his past. At the same time Zack’s law firm is representing star conservative politician, Ginny Monaghan, in a nasty custody case. The trial is taking place during an election campaign. (It was alittle unreal to have a custody case over 14 year old twins. In real life the teenagers would have decided between the parents. You cannot force a teenager to live with someone.) During the trial rumours surface over the relationship between Ginny’s husband, Jason Brodsky, and Cristal. As Ginny’s political future seesaws during the heated election campaign Joanne explores Cristal’s life trying to find out what happened. I never thought about where call girls come from. Cristal came from Wadena. As the plot develops Zack and Joanne have a happy vivid family life. I cannot recall another mystery series where the heroine/hero has such a normal life. It does remain perilous to be a member of Zack’s office. There were touches of Saskatchewan in the book (mainly with regard to Regina locations and a trip to Wadena) but there is no essential Saskatchewan feature to the plot. The story is well told. I jumped into the book reading the opening 100 pages between Grey Cup events one afternoon and evening. As well, it is a great book because there is no other mystery series with a key character being a 50+ Saskatchewan lawyer. Harcover. (Nov. 24/08)

No comments:

Post a Comment