About Me

My photo
Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada
I am a lawyer in Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada who enjoys reading, especially mysteries. Since 2000 I have been writing personal book reviews. This blog includes my reviews, information on and interviews with authors and descriptions of mystery bookstores I have visited. I strive to review all Saskatchewan mysteries. Other Canadian mysteries are listed under the Rest of Canada. As a lawyer I am always interested in legal mysteries. I have a separate page for legal mysteries. Occasionally my reviews of legal mysteries comment on the legal reality of the mystery. You can follow the progression of my favourite authors with up to 15 reviews. Each year I select my favourites in "Bill's Best of ----". As well as current reviews I am posting reviews from 2000 to 2011. Below my most recent couple of posts are the posts of Saskatchewan mysteries I have reviewed alphabetically by author. If you only want a sentence or two description of the book and my recommendation when deciding whether to read the book look at the bold portion of the review. If you would like to email me the link to my email is on the profile page.

Saturday, January 1, 2011

The Lincoln Lawyer by Michael Connelly


The Alphabet in Crime Fiction sponsored and led by Kerrie Smith at her blog Mysteries in Paradise is at "L". Click on the link to see all the "L" entries. I have chosen a book by Michael Connelly who is one of my favourite mystery writers. When he created a lawyer as a new leading character I was excited. For a non-lawyer his understanding of lawyers and court proceedings is exceptional. The movie version of The Lincoln Lawyer has just been released. I have not seen it. My older son, Jonathan, liked it though he said it differed from the book. I had disliked the movie version of Connelly's Bloodwork.

****

52. - 307.) The Lincoln Lawyer by Michael Connelly – In a departure from his Harry Bosch  stories Connelly features L.A. criminal defence lawyer, Mickey Haller, who is racing from court to court tending to his usual clientele when suddenly called to defend wealthy realtor, Louis Roulet, who has been charged with attacking Regina Campo in her apartment. Haller is excited about the opportunity for a “franchise” client (a client who can afford a 6 figure legal bill). Aided by investigator Raul Levin he attacks the evidence. The story dramatically and suddenly twists when it turns out a previous client, Angel Mendenez, Haller persuaded to plead guilty of murder is a defender’s nightmare, an innocent man. The connection with his present case puts Haller in an incredible dilemma. The whirl of a busy lawyer’s life and the action in court are far better than the average legal thriller. The style reminded me strongly of John Grisham. The conclusion is a touch too predictable but Haller has a future as a character. Hardcover. (Nov. 18/05)

5 comments:

  1. Bill - Thanks for this excellent review! I, too, am a Connelly fan, so I was glad to see that you reviewed this book. I agree with you that Mickey Haller is an interesting character and I'm so glad that since this book, Connelly's brought him back and seems to be developing him. This was quite a good debut for the character, I think, and like Connelly's other work, I think it's got good pacing, timing and plot twists.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Margot - Thanks for the kind remarks. Connelly is remarkable for his sustained excellence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed this one too Bill. Thanks for the contribution to this week's Crime Fiction Alphabet

    ReplyDelete