About Me

My photo
Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada
I am a lawyer in Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada who enjoys reading, especially mysteries. Since 2000 I have been writing personal book reviews. This blog includes my reviews, information on and interviews with authors and descriptions of mystery bookstores I have visited. I strive to review all Saskatchewan mysteries. Other Canadian mysteries are listed under the Rest of Canada. As a lawyer I am always interested in legal mysteries. I have a separate page for legal mysteries. Occasionally my reviews of legal mysteries comment on the legal reality of the mystery. You can follow the progression of my favourite authors with up to 15 reviews. Each year I select my favourites in "Bill's Best of ----". As well as current reviews I am posting reviews from 2000 to 2011. Below my most recent couple of posts are the posts of Saskatchewan mysteries I have reviewed alphabetically by author. If you only want a sentence or two description of the book and my recommendation when deciding whether to read the book look at the bold portion of the review. If you would like to email me the link to my email is on the profile page.

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

My Life as a Book 2011

Margot Kinberg at her excellent blog, Confessions of a Mystery Novelist, finished a set of sentences with book titles. The sentences involving autobiographical statements were created at the blog Pop Culture Nerd. I was inspired to take on completing the sentences from books I have read.

One time at band/summer camp, I: (was) Burying Ariel (Gail Bowen)

Weekends at my house are: Forty Words of Sorrow (Giles Blunt)

My neighbor is: Missing (Karen Alvtegen)

My boss is: Immoral (Brian Freeman)

My ex was: King Con (Stephen J. Cannell)

My superhero secret identity is: The Sherlockian (Graham Moore)

You wouldn't like me when I'm angry because: The Devil in Me (J.D. Carpenter)

I’d win a gold medal in: Prairie Hardball (Alison Gordon)

I'd pay good money for: A Painted House (John Grisham)

If I were Prime Minister rather than president as I am Canadian I would: Cross Bones (Kathy Reichs)

When I don't have good books, I am: Dreaming of Bones (Kathy Reichs)

Loud talkers at the movies should be: The Vanished Man (Jeffrey Deaver)

I did manage to find 5 titles written by Canadian authors.

I found it fun and challenging for some of the sentences. Why not give it a try and post your efforts in a comment at Pop Culture Nerd.

6 comments:

  1. Nice answers, Bill! I'm a bit worried about your neighbor but don't worry, I won't call the police on you. Your secret identity is mighty impressive (I'm a huge Holmes fan). And extra points for including Canadian authors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment. Actually a police officer is my neighbour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bill - Oh, these are fabulous! I'm so very glad you played along. I'm impressed with your answers :-). But - erm - who was Ariel? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent, Bill! Great answers. Yeah, who WAS Ariel? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your secret identity!

    Here are mine: http://myreadersblock.blogspot.com/2011/09/my-life-as-book-2011-so-far.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Margot,Yvette and Bev:

    Thanks for the comments. I am sorry I have not responded sooner. I have been battling a bug during the weekend and have not looked at the computer for a couple of days. I hope I am in the recovery phase.

    Margot: You would have a special interest as Ariel Warren was a university professor in Regina who was killed and her colleague, professor Joanne Kilbourn, seeks the killer. The plot involves complexities of university politics I had not appreciated.

    Yvette: As indicated Ariel was a university professor in Saskatchewan. Getting stabbed in the back becomes literal in the book.

    Bev: I would love to have Sherlock's deductive skills in real life. I enjoyed your answers.

    ReplyDelete