About Me

My photo
Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada
I am a lawyer in Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada who enjoys reading, especially mysteries. Since 2000 I have been writing personal book reviews. This blog includes my reviews, information on and interviews with authors and descriptions of mystery bookstores I have visited. I strive to review all Saskatchewan mysteries. Other Canadian mysteries are listed under the Rest of Canada. As a lawyer I am always interested in legal mysteries. I have a separate page for legal mysteries. Occasionally my reviews of legal mysteries comment on the legal reality of the mystery. You can follow the progression of my favourite authors with up to 15 reviews. Each year I select my favourites in "Bill's Best of ----". As well as current reviews I am posting reviews from 2000 to 2011. Below my most recent couple of posts are the posts of Saskatchewan mysteries I have reviewed alphabetically by author. If you only want a sentence or two description of the book and my recommendation when deciding whether to read the book look at the bold portion of the review. If you would like to email me the link to my email is on the profile page.

Thursday, November 6, 2014

Go Go Gato by Max Everhart

Go Go Gato by Max Everhart – Eli Sharpe is a former “successful” professional baseball player who is now a private investigator in Asheville, North Carolina. Eli worked his way through the minors to reach the majors but stayed for only a few games in The Show.

His drinking and reckless lifestyle overwhelmed his considerable athletic talent. I had an image in reading the book of Eli as Kevin Costner in the classic baseball movie Bull Durham.

After getting himself together the once promising infielder is now running his own one man detective agency out of a studio apartment. Most of his investigations are for professional baseball teams checking out the lives of potential players and other staff.

Eli is not a predictable personality. On the walls of his office are posters and photos of Richard Nixon. As a boy he had started reading about Nixon and putting up posters of the 37th President. Partly he did it to upset his father and because “he found Nixon to be a fascinating study in contradictions”. In his Nixon collection I was reminded of another quirky quick tongued sleuth, Elvis Cole, in the series by Robert Crais who loves Disney characters.

There is lots of back story for future books to fill in on Eli. He has been engaged 7 times but never married.

Into his life walks tall, blonde and beautiful Los Angeles lawyer and sports agent, Veronica Craven. She is dressed to impress:

    She wore a crisp white button-down with the sleeves rolled to the
    elbows, a gray pencil skirt, and Ruby red high heels.

She hires Eli to find her most prominent client, Almario (Go Go) Gato, an 18 year old Cuban refugee. A year earlier the Colorado Rockies had given him a $1.2 million signing bonus.

Almario, who hates the nickname Go Go, has disappeared from the Asheville Travellers minor league team and she wants him found before the Rockies start asking too many questions about the status of the prize prospect. Injured the year before his performance has been sub-standard for some time even though he has recovered from the injury.

Almario has been living with his fraternal sister, Maria, in a penthouse apartment. She is deeply worried about what has happened to her brother.

It is soon evident that the Almario was not ready for everything that comes the way of a handsome young professional athlete.

As he searches for Almario around Asheville, Eli is brought back to his experiences as a rising young professional ballplayer 15 years earlier. He equally did not handle well the temptations offered pro athletes.

Eli equally understands the enormous pressure to perform put on young pros on whom millions have been lavished. For most great athletes, as with Eli and Almario, the transition from amateur to professional is demanding. Expectations are high. When a young player struggles, as inevitable, it can become a burden to play the game.

In  The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach, which I reviewed this summer, the young brilliant shortstop becomes incapable of making routine throws as he overthinks the game.

As Eli penetrates Almario’s life murder occurs and Eli searches for the killer.

Everhart was convincing in his depiction of Asheville. I had a good feel for the city from the book

It is an excellent debut. Eli is a memorable character. I thought his personal demons were a touch over emphasized. At the same time I enjoyed the realistic description of pro baseball and the challenges of youthful highly paid athletes. I look forward to reading more Eli Sharpe mysteries.
****
The author holds a Master’s degree in creative writing from the University of Alabama and is teaching at Northeastern Technical College and Coker College.

14 comments:

  1. Bill - Thanks very much for the thoughtful review. It does sound like an interesting beginning to a series. And it also sounds like an interesting glimpse into the world of sports. It's good to hear you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Margot: Thanks for the comment. I do not believe you are a big sports fan. The book does not require a knowledge of sports to interest a reader.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bill, not long ago, I read a novel with a somewhat similar plot except, instead of baseball, the murder is set in and around cricket. I think the sport is incidental to such novels although those who follow a particular sport, like baseball or cricket, are more likely to read them. For me, first and foremost, it is a crime fiction or a murder mystery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prashant: Thanks for the comment. It was timely. I am working on a post about the mystery being in a sports setting. I agree the story should be focused on the mystery. At the same time I want the setting integrated into the story.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like an interesting novel, Bill. Harlan Coben wrote a series about Myron Bolitar, an ex-basketball player and sports agent. Have you tried those? I plan to sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TracyK: Oh, no! I have not read them. Another series I want to read. Sigh!

      Delete
  5. Bill, when I saw that cover I assumed this was a golden oldie from maybe the 60s - design, typeface and clothes all suggested that! This definitely sounds interesting, and I liked that clothes description, promises well....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moira: Thanks for the comment. Had not seen a '60's vibe until your comment. I agree it could be a '60's picture. Everhart definitely makes clothes part of his characters.

      Delete
  6. Bill: thanks a million for reading and reviewing my book. I especially appreciated the mentions of Bull Durham (one of my favorite movies), and The Art of Fielding, which was such a good novel I actually got jealous I didn't write it! I saw a comment in this thread about the Myron Bolitar books, and I highly recommend checking those out. Too, if you dig baseball as much as I do, give Nine Bucks a Pound by James Bailey a try. It's not a mystery, but the writing and characters are fantastic, and Bailey nails what's it like to play professional baseball. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Max: Thanks for the comment. I shall have to take a look for Nine Bucks a Pound. I hope to hear soon of the next Eli Sharpe book. You have a fine series underway.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bill, I guess I will have to track down a copy of this one. At my first glance at the cover, I also thought it was an old PBO. By the way I came across a copy of the 1992 Saskatchewan Historical Baseball Review at a book sale a couple of weeks ago. Was willing to spend a buck when I saw your piece on The Women of Baseball. Actually I think I have another copy boxed somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kent: I think you will find the book entertaining. The women of Saskatchewan who played in the All American Girls Professional Baseball League are a wonderful group of ballplayers who happen to be ladies.

      Delete
  9. Bill: the next book in the Eli Sharpe series is due out April 1st. Let me know and I can get you an ARC if you want. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Max: I would be very glad to get a copy. Thank you.

      Delete