About Me

My photo
Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada
I am a lawyer in Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada who enjoys reading, especially mysteries. Since 2000 I have been writing personal book reviews. This blog includes my reviews, information on and interviews with authors and descriptions of mystery bookstores I have visited. I strive to review all Saskatchewan mysteries. Other Canadian mysteries are listed under the Rest of Canada. As a lawyer I am always interested in legal mysteries. I have a separate page for legal mysteries. Occasionally my reviews of legal mysteries comment on the legal reality of the mystery. You can follow the progression of my favourite authors with up to 15 reviews. Each year I select my favourites in "Bill's Best of ----". As well as current reviews I am posting reviews from 2000 to 2011. Below my most recent couple of posts are the posts of Saskatchewan mysteries I have reviewed alphabetically by author. If you only want a sentence or two description of the book and my recommendation when deciding whether to read the book look at the bold portion of the review. If you would like to email me the link to my email is on the profile page.

Monday, August 22, 2016

A Page in the Sun and Snow Falling on Cedars

Books can reach readers in unique ways. On January 1 of this year Sharon and I met Michael and his girlfriend, Kaja, in Puerto Vallarta. The next day we stopped at a bookstore / café near their hotel downtown. Michael took a look around the store and came out with a somewhat battered copy of Snow Falling on Cedars.

I would not likely have remembered the name of the place but the owners stamped the name on the book – A Page in the Sun.

At their website of A Page in the Sun they describe the bookstore part of the business:

We are Puerto Vallarta's original English bookstore offering all major genres including bestsellers, crime novels, literary classics, pulp fiction, science fiction and everything in between, in paperback and hard cover books.

To go with your book you can have a piece of cake or other delights:

Sample our world famous chocolate lover's chocolate cake, or opt for a Tres Leches (a Mexican classic for those who love sweet dairy, not recommended for the lactose intolerant), luxuriate in the glory of a homemade cheesecake, or dive into an adventurous sweet chili-lime pie. For the more traditional, chow down on a wholesome whole-wheat carrot muffin, a slice of coffee cake or an oatmeal-chocolate chip cookie to savor something that is truly and simply delicious.

I had not thought further of the book until this summer.

On a trip home to Saskatchewan Michael gave me the book to read saying that, while it is not a classic mystery, he thought I would find this book interesting. He knows I prefer a recommendation without an explanation.

Some books languish in my TBR boxes but Michael does not often suggest a book for me and I decided to read the book this summer. It was my best reading decision in months

I finished the book on a perfect summer Saturday afternoon. It was a hot sunny day at 26C. I just sat on our deck drinking a Pepsi and enjoying a snack reading a great book until it was done.

Having completed the book I was curious why Michael had chosen this book. He emailed me:

For some reason the tattered cover caught my eye. After reading the Synopsis and been to the Channel Islands I thought it would be fascinating. I have only finished half (started reading when I was too busy) but I plan on finishing. I thought he did a marvelous job of describing the space the story took Place in. 

I concur with Michael’s assessment and I will be returning the book to him when I see him in a couple of weeks on the Labour Day Weekend.

We shall have to make a return visit to A Page in the Sun to see what more hidden gems are on the shelves.
****
Guterson, David - (2016) - Snow Falling on Cedars (1995) and Life in Meskanaw and on San Piedro Island and Race and Ethnicity in War

8 comments:

  1. Oh, Bill, that bookshop sounds wonderful! And what a good reading experience you had as a result of it, too. I'm glad for that, and I'm glad you mentioned A Page in the Sun. I like learning about different bookstores in different places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot: Thanks for the comment. It is a nice store and café. It is an inviting place to stop in Puerto Vallarta.

      Delete
  2. I had to look up Puerta Vallarta to see where it is! Love the sound of the bookshop, and the cakes. And what a lucky way to come across such a great book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moira: Thanks for the comment. Puerto Vallarta is consistently in the high 20's C during the winter and the beaches are white and you can sit all day under a tiki hut drinking Corona with lime and reading a book.

      Delete
  3. Omigod! My dream bookshop! One that has chocolate cake, a cafe and good books!

    Only problem: One has to travel to Puerto Vallarta to find this treasure. Why can't my humongous city have this type of bookshop? The best I could do is the Barnes & Noble about 10 blocks away. It has a cafe on the third floor (mysteries are a few floors above), but no wonderful treats as you describe, and it's certainly not a cafe, but more like a department store cafeteria.

    What I would give for a bookstore/cafe with delicious treats!

    Lucky were you and your family. Definitely a place to revisit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy D.: Thanks for the comment. Books and cake are a bit of heaven on earth. For this winter I doubt we will be back in Mexico. Maybe next year.

      Delete
  4. What an interesting story of how you read the book, Bill. I would love to go to that bookstore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TracyK: Thanks for the comment. I hope you get a chance to visit Puerto Vallarta.

      Delete