About Me

My photo
Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada
I am a lawyer in Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada who enjoys reading, especially mysteries. Since 2000 I have been writing personal book reviews. This blog includes my reviews, information on and interviews with authors and descriptions of mystery bookstores I have visited. I strive to review all Saskatchewan mysteries. Other Canadian mysteries are listed under the Rest of Canada. As a lawyer I am always interested in legal mysteries. I have a separate page for legal mysteries. Occasionally my reviews of legal mysteries comment on the legal reality of the mystery. You can follow the progression of my favourite authors with up to 15 reviews. Each year I select my favourites in "Bill's Best of ----". As well as current reviews I am posting reviews from 2000 to 2011. Below my most recent couple of posts are the posts of Saskatchewan mysteries I have reviewed alphabetically by author. If you only want a sentence or two description of the book and my recommendation when deciding whether to read the book look at the bold portion of the review. If you would like to email me the link to my email is on the profile page.

Monday, September 25, 2017

An Iron Rose by Peter Temple

It has been about a year since I put up one of the reviews I wrote before becoming a blogger. My reviews were shorter 9 years ago.
****
27. – 437.) An Iron Rose by Peter Temple – Mac Farraday is settling into rural life in the potato growing country near Sydney, Australia after being forced to leave the Australian Federal Police. Using his father’s forge he is assisted by professional smithy Allie. His world is turned upside down when good friend, Ned Lowey, is found hanging. Mac cannot accept it was suicide. A trio of newspapers in Ned’s effects on the finding of the body of a young woman sets Mac off on a course of investigation that winds back into Ned’s life and eventually intersects with his past. The language is harsh and profane. Mac reminds me of Travis McGee, another big tough man, with an eye for the ladies and a willingness to get physical while also maintaining a highly principled philosophy of life. Rural Australia comes alive. The local Australian Rules football team reminds me of rural Saskatchewan hockey/baseball teams and local rivalries. Hardcover or paperback. (July 2/08)

7 comments:

  1. I like Peter Temple's work very much, Bill, but haven't yet read this one. It sounds atmospheric and well-written, as his work generally is. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot: Thanks for the comment. I have read two of Temple's books but decided not to read any more of his books.

      Delete
  2. I too enjoy Peter Temple's books - especially the Jack Irish series - he has a spare, laconic style that appeals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spade and Dagger: Thanks for the comment. Temple is a gifted writer.

      Delete
  3. I read one Jack Irish book, but then discovered that I could get the Australian TV series on dvd. So I'm now watching Jack Irish, as portrayed by Guy Pearce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed the TV series as the characters seemed very similar to those I imagined from the books - a rare event. The whole is series is still worth reading though :)

      Delete
    2. Kathy D. and Spade and Dagger: Thanks for the comments. I am not familiar with the series. I am going to have go looking for it to watch some episodes.

      Delete