About Me

My photo
Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada
I am a lawyer in Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada who enjoys reading, especially mysteries. Since 2000 I have been writing personal book reviews. This blog includes my reviews, information on and interviews with authors and descriptions of mystery bookstores I have visited. I strive to review all Saskatchewan mysteries. Other Canadian mysteries are listed under the Rest of Canada. As a lawyer I am always interested in legal mysteries. I have a separate page for legal mysteries. Occasionally my reviews of legal mysteries comment on the legal reality of the mystery. You can follow the progression of my favourite authors with up to 15 reviews. Each year I select my favourites in "Bill's Best of ----". As well as current reviews I am posting reviews from 2000 to 2011. Below my most recent couple of posts are the posts of Saskatchewan mysteries I have reviewed alphabetically by author. If you only want a sentence or two description of the book and my recommendation when deciding whether to read the book look at the bold portion of the review. If you would like to email me the link to my email is on the profile page.

Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Back Cruising in the Mediterranean

I have been away from blogging for the past week. I spent a few of those days getting ready to go on holidays. I try to get organized in advance but those last days before departure are inevitably busy. The last few days Sharon and I have been sailing in the Mediterranean on the Marina, a ship with the Oceania Cruise Line.

We have been on the Marina and her identical twin sister, the Riviera, for several voyages and enjoy each of them.

Yesterday was Marseille. We took a tour to Aix-en-Provence and enjoyed a walking tour and then a chance to experience market day. We returned to the ship with two jars of jam from a vendor who generously provided a series of samples. We purchased a local specialty, apricot and lavender, and the best tasting jam, raspberry.

Monte Carlo was today's stop. Sharon and I decided we would make it a sea day and did not leave the ship. Between breakfast, a walk, lunch, a walk, afternoon tea with scones, team trivia accompanied by chips and peanuts, late afternoon canapes, supper, a walk and some hours of reading the day went well. Evening team trivia and the show are still to come.

We will be on the ship for almost 3 more weeks so I know blogging will be slower.

I am using my lounge chair time for reading. I am almost half way through Louise Penny's new book, Glass Houses. I shall have a fair bit to say about the book.

How many more books get read is hard to say as we enjoy the sun and shores of the Mediterranean.

On my way to trivia. Hardest question this afternoon is what were Kleenex tissues used for when they were invented in 1915. There is a clue in the year. They were filters for gas masks.

Good night to all.

14 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great holiday! I have been in Italy myself, so we were not so far apart, we could (almost)) have waved. Holiday reading is always a big decision, look forward to hearing the reports when you get back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moira:Thanks for the comment. Visited Lucca and area today for a wine tasting. Tomorrow a farmhouse cooking and dining tour near Rome.

      Delete
    2. Bill! I was in Lucca, I spent a week there at the beginning of October....What a beautiful place it is.

      Delete
    3. Moira: We enjoyed our time in Lucca and would be glad to go back for a longer visit. Sharon left town with a lovely new hat.

      Delete
    4. Where did she buy the hat?! (May we see a picture?) There was someone selling hats right outside the apartment where I was staying, and I was sorely tempted, but resisted, and now quite regret not buying one...

      Delete
    5. Moira - It was a shop in the heart of downtown Lucca that sold women's wear and had alot of hats. It is a Seeberger hat from Germany. A photo may appear!

      Delete
  2. Oh, I hope you have a wonderful time, Bill. It sounds fabulous. I hope you'll share your cruise stories with us when you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot: Thanks for the comment. Traveling on Oceania is fabulous. For this voyage we upgraded and were able to order in from Toscana, the specialty Italian restaurant. Asparagus risotto, Spinach salad and sea bass for Sharon.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like tons of fun for you and Sharon. I loved the information about Kleenex, which I had not heard before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TracyK: Thanks for the comment. We have enjoyed cruising and team trivia is part of my daily routine on the ship.

      Delete
  4. Also didn't know about the Kleenex - fascinating fact, thank you & enjoy the rest of your trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spade and Dagger: Thanks for the comment. If you enjoy playing trivia a cruise ship is a good place to play.

      Delete
  5. What a trip! And three more weeks of just relaxing, dining, strolling, reading and playing games. Sounds ideal.

    I would, however, gain 50 pounds on such a trip, and would be madly rushing around the ship, as if I were hiking.

    How nice that the cruise is wonderful, and in the Mediterranean with stops in France, Italy and elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy D.: Thanks for the comment. Eating too much is a cruising hazard. We generally take tours that are half a day to pace ourselves.

      Delete