About Me

My photo
Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada
I am a lawyer in Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada who enjoys reading, especially mysteries. Since 2000 I have been writing personal book reviews. This blog includes my reviews, information on and interviews with authors and descriptions of mystery bookstores I have visited. I strive to review all Saskatchewan mysteries. Other Canadian mysteries are listed under the Rest of Canada. As a lawyer I am always interested in legal mysteries. I have a separate page for legal mysteries. Occasionally my reviews of legal mysteries comment on the legal reality of the mystery. You can follow the progression of my favourite authors with up to 15 reviews. Each year I select my favourites in "Bill's Best of ----". As well as current reviews I am posting reviews from 2000 to 2011. Below my most recent couple of posts are the posts of Saskatchewan mysteries I have reviewed alphabetically by author. If you only want a sentence or two description of the book and my recommendation when deciding whether to read the book look at the bold portion of the review. If you would like to email me the link to my email is on the profile page.

Saturday, October 7, 2017

Skinny-Dipping by Claire Matturro

I just finished reading Sweetheart Deal by Claire Matturo and decided to put up a post about the four book series featuring Lilly Belle Rose Cleary. In looking at my reviews I see I have not posted my review of the opening book. Tonight I will put up my review of Skinny-Dipping and follow it in a couple of days with Sweetheart Deal.
****
10. - 420.) Skinny-Dipping by Claire Matturro – Lilly Rose (Lillian Belle Rosemary only to her family) Cleary is the funniest lawyer since Paul Levine’s Steve Solomon and Victoria Lord. Tall and slim and approaching her mid-30’s Lilly is a medical malpractice defender in Sarasota. She is gearing up to defend Dr. Trusdale, who screwed up a knee replacement, when the doctor is found dead after partially smoking a marijuana cigarette laced with oleander (Florida apparenly has lots of backyard toxins). When investigating detective, Sam Santuri, finds out about two undetected malpractice judgments in the doctor’s past Lilly shifts forthwith from aggressive defence to immediate settlement. Her next case involving a veggie baby looks far more difficult. As she searches for a defence she must deal with being choked by a mugger behind her office and then being shot at by her car (her new doctor client by her side). The book flows effortlessly as Lilly deals with her larger than life partners and an active sex life. Lilly demonstrates that being obsessive compulsive is a useful trait in a trial lawyer. Within 2 pages I knew the book was written by a practising lawyer. It was unintentional but a fascinating contrast to have read Grisham’s The Power Broker immediately before this legal thriller. Grisham and Matturro each have the gifts of interesting lawyers and drawing the reader through their books. With a financial theme in the solution I was reminded of Sara Paretsky’s books. Lilly could be the niece of V.I. Warshawski. Hardcover. (Feb. 29/08) 

6 comments:

  1. Oh, this does sound great, Bill. I like the wit mixed in with the story, and it sounds as though Lilly is a really well-drawn character. And the legal theme of the novel sounds interesting, too. I'm glad you enjoyed this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot: Thanks for the comment. For Matturro legal humour is not an oxymoron.

      Delete
  2. Bill, I have read a few novels about lawyers and as far as I can recall none of them were funny. I can imagine how humour might liven up otherwise serious and intense legal battles and courtroom scenes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prashant: Thanks for the comment. A humourous comment can relieve the tension in a court proceeding. Trying to be funny on the other hand is a bad idea.

      Delete
  3. Oh, gosh, I have to get this book and Paul Levin's books, too.
    A niece of V.I.'s? I'm in.
    My library does not have these books, so I'll have to search.

    There are many legal mysteries with wit in the courtroom. It's almost a must for me.

    Michael Connelly's Mickey Haller books come to mind, funny courtroom dialogue. I laugh out loud at such scenes.

    And Grisham's The Rogue Lawyer comes to mine, too, and The Rainmaker. There are others of his, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy D.: Thanks for the comment. I wish there were as many witty moments in real life court as in fictional court.

      Delete