About Me

My photo
Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada
I am a lawyer in Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada who enjoys reading, especially mysteries. Since 2000 I have been writing personal book reviews. This blog includes my reviews, information on and interviews with authors and descriptions of mystery bookstores I have visited. I strive to review all Saskatchewan mysteries. Other Canadian mysteries are listed under the Rest of Canada. As a lawyer I am always interested in legal mysteries. I have a separate page for legal mysteries. Occasionally my reviews of legal mysteries comment on the legal reality of the mystery. You can follow the progression of my favourite authors with up to 15 reviews. Each year I select my favourites in "Bill's Best of ----". As well as current reviews I am posting reviews from 2000 to 2011. Below my most recent couple of posts are the posts of Saskatchewan mysteries I have reviewed alphabetically by author. If you only want a sentence or two description of the book and my recommendation when deciding whether to read the book look at the bold portion of the review. If you would like to email me the link to my email is on the profile page.

Wednesday, July 25, 2018

2018 Winner of the Harper Lee Prize for Legal Fiction - Proof

Yesterday the University of Alabama School of Law and the ABA Journal announced that Proof by C.E. Tobisman was the winner of the 2018 Harper Lee Prize for Legal Fiction.

The other books on the shortlist were Exposed by Lisa Scottoline and Testimony by Scott Turow. I have read both of them and have been planning to read Proof but it had not been easy to find a paper copy of the book in Canada. Ironically, the copy of Proof I ordered from the Sleuth of Baker Street bookstore in Toronto arrived today and I started reading Proof tonight.

Following a personal tradition, upon my completion of Proof I will put up a review of the book and then a post on which book from the shortlist I thought deserved to win the Prize.

This year's winning author, Cindy Tobisman, is a newcomer to legal fiction compared to Scottoline and Turow. 

The ABA Journal article states:

      Tobisman is a partner with Greines, Martin, Stein & Richland 
      in Los Angeles, where she practices appellate law. Under the 
      name C.E. Tobisman, she has published two novels, Doubt and 
     Proof, and a comic book series, Inside the Loop.

The news release of the Award from the University of Alabama sets out Tobisman's reaction:

      "I am honored, humbled, and frankly, totally stunned," 
      Tobisman said. "The spirit of 'To Kill a Mockingbird' is the 
      spirit of one person's ability to make the world a little more
      fair. That the selection committee saw that spirit in my book is 
      something that I will treasure forever."

As has been the case in recent years readers of the ABA Journal were invited to help select which book would win by casting their vote at the Journal. The winner of the readers poll was a 5th vote joining the 4 individual judges.

This year the votes were 11.61% for Testimony, 16.42% for Proof and 71.98% for Exposed. I was a little surprised to see such a public landslide for Exposed.

The Prize will be awarded at the Library of Congress duing the National Book Festival in Washington, D.C.

Congratulations to Cindy and a thank you to the University of Alabama for sending me the news release.

10 comments:

  1. I'll be interested in what you think of Proof once you've digested it, Bill. And, of course, congratulations to C.E. Tobisman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot: Thanks for the comment. Proof is off to a good start.

      Delete
  2. Exposed was fun. Two strong women lawyers and the Italian families were just plain funny. And the story was easy to follow and had a lot of ethical breaches and then much reconciliation.
    I bet people like Mary and maybe Benny and certainly the relatives. Also, moral questions open and shut. Everyone likes to catch corporate culprits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy D.: Thanks for the comment. I agree with your thoughts on Exposed. Once I am done Proof I will put up my post on which I think is the best book on the shortlist.

      Delete
  3. Sounds interesting, and I look forward to your review. And your pick of those nominated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TracyK: Thanks for the comment. Probably a week away.

      Delete
  4. Interesting public vote there! I will be interested to read your review of the winner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moira: Thanks for the comment. Still working my way through Proof.

      Delete
  5. Eager to read which is your favorite of these books.

    Trying to figure out if I should read Proof. I love legal mysteries, but it's not out in my library in hardcover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy D.: Reading a touch slow at the moment. Will have a review of Proof this coming week.

      Delete