About Me

My photo
Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada
I am a lawyer in Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada who enjoys reading, especially mysteries. Since 2000 I have been writing personal book reviews. This blog includes my reviews, information on and interviews with authors and descriptions of mystery bookstores I have visited. I strive to review all Saskatchewan mysteries. Other Canadian mysteries are listed under the Rest of Canada. As a lawyer I am always interested in legal mysteries. I have a separate page for legal mysteries. Occasionally my reviews of legal mysteries comment on the legal reality of the mystery. You can follow the progression of my favourite authors with up to 15 reviews. Each year I select my favourites in "Bill's Best of ----". As well as current reviews I am posting reviews from 2000 to 2011. Below my most recent couple of posts are the posts of Saskatchewan mysteries I have reviewed alphabetically by author. If you only want a sentence or two description of the book and my recommendation when deciding whether to read the book look at the bold portion of the review. If you would like to email me the link to my email is on the profile page.

Friday, April 26, 2019

Conclusions on Maestra by L.S. Hilton

In my last post I discussed the plot of Maestra by L.S. Hilton and the lead character, Judith Rashleigh. I found it hard to provide thoughts on the book without giving spoilers. In this post, be warned, there will be spoilers.

I admired the writing. Hilton has created a memorable character succeeding in living life on her own terms.

Judith credibly evolves from an assistant in an art auction house seeking to rise up from the lower classes to a woman ready to commit murder to gain financial independence.

Most of the subsequent killings were gratuitous though Hilton subtly showed the evolution of a mind not merely enurred to killing but enjoying the experience.

I struggled with the increasing and ever more unnecessary violence. I understood the first murder as her only means to millions instantly. Yet I thought she had the intelligence and determination to leverage the 10,000 euros provided her by the billionaire, Steve, for being a summer companion into a successful career as an art dealer.

Judith becomes wicked as she comes to enjoy killing people and frequently indulging her sexual desires. She made me feel uncomfortable. If Hilton had written her as a him I would have felt equally uncomfortable.

Judith’s intense sexuality was explored in clinical detail. Was it gratuitous?

I was reminded of the challenges the American Supreme Court went through in the 1950’s and 1960’s as it sought to define obscenity in literature and films. Was there any artistic merit amidst the sexual scenes? Maestra turns that consideration upside down by mixing learned artistic discourse and explicit sex.

We live in a world where extremely detailed descriptions of violence and sex are a part of mainstream literature.

I thought it would have been a very good book without explicit sex. Yet I doubt it would have gained fame. Judith’s pleasure in sex does make her character more vivid.

In the end there was too much violence and sex for me and not enough skulduggery in the world of high value artworks. I acknowledge being intrigued that there are two more books continuing Judith. I would be interested in reading them if the violence and sex quotients were lower. I am ambiguous about finding out. Maybe a reader of the post can tell me.

4 comments:

  1. Like you, Bill, I'm not one for a lot of violence (especially extreme violence) and explicit sex. I don't think I've ever read a book in which either of those two elements (to say nothing of both of them) made the plot richer, more interesting, more intriguing, etc.. They may add to our knowledge of a character, but I don't honestly think they add to a story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot: Reading blurb reviews the combination of sex and violence made it a popular book not the art world. The plotting felt calculated to exploit.

      Delete
  2. I was most interested to read your two posts. there was quite a lot of fuss about this book, and I hesitated over whether to read it. Your review convinces me I probably won't, even though you highlight some pluses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moira: Thanks for the comment. Had I known the story before being given the book I expect I would have hesitated. By the blurbs it got a lot of attention.

      Delete