About Me

My photo
Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada
I am a lawyer in Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada who enjoys reading, especially mysteries. Since 2000 I have been writing personal book reviews. This blog includes my reviews, information on and interviews with authors and descriptions of mystery bookstores I have visited. I strive to review all Saskatchewan mysteries. Other Canadian mysteries are listed under the Rest of Canada. As a lawyer I am always interested in legal mysteries. I have a separate page for legal mysteries. Occasionally my reviews of legal mysteries comment on the legal reality of the mystery. You can follow the progression of my favourite authors with up to 15 reviews. Each year I select my favourites in "Bill's Best of ----". As well as current reviews I am posting reviews from 2000 to 2011. Below my most recent couple of posts are the posts of Saskatchewan mysteries I have reviewed alphabetically by author. If you only want a sentence or two description of the book and my recommendation when deciding whether to read the book look at the bold portion of the review. If you would like to email me the link to my email is on the profile page.

Friday, April 12, 2019

I.Q. by Joe Ide

I.Q. by Joe Ide - Isaiah Quintabe is “unlicenced and undaground”. He is a black P.I. for working folk in East Long Beach who have little money and serious problems. He earns enough to live simply and comfortably. At 25 he is “six feet tall, rail thin, no chain, no stud in his ears, a watch the color of an aluminum frying pan, and if he was inked up it was nowhere she could see”.

Occasionally he has a more prominent client. A successful R & B singer has had his camera, containing an embarrassing sex tape, stolen and a ransom note received. IQ solves the mystery by realizing that the language of the note is of a Biblical nature. The camera has been taken by the singer’s religious mother.

He has a pet chicken, Alejandro, (a payment from a grateful client) wandering around the house.

Making a living as a P.I. in a tough neighbourhood where money is scarce is a constant challenge. Needing paying clients he accepts a job from Juanelle Dodson, a local entrepreneur, recently out of jail who lives by the principle:

“It’s a hustler’s world, son,” Dodson said, “and if you ain’t doing the
hustlin’? Somebody’s hustlin you.”

He adds:

“The gangsta thing ain’t a technique, it’s an attitude. You either make
something your bitch or you gonna be the bitch.”

Rapper, Black the Knife (Calvin Wright), is bunkered down in his palatial home after a failed attempt on his life by a huge pit bull which entered the house through a doggie door. The pit bull is terrifying. He is almost twice the size of a normal pit bull.
Cal, paranoid and high on a selection of drugs, wants Isaiah to find the assassin. Isaiah approaches the task with a disciplined mind that is precisely logical. His deductions are unaffected by emotion and the reactions of those around him.

All of Cal’s entourage and his manager, Bobby Grimes, ratchet up the pressure on IQ. Cal has a contractual deadline to produce new songs and nothing is happening with him in his house. Millions of dollars are at stake.

At the same time the plot includes his first investigation 8 years earlier into the death of his beloved brother, Marcus. He displays a doggedness verging on obsession. At the same time it is his intelligence which guides his investigation.

There is a startling observation in the book on drug use. Dodson is looking to get out of the drug trade of 2005 because crack sales are on the decline. Business has dropped as young people see physically decrepit adult addicts. They do not like the look of the chronic users. Dodson advises Isaiah that people will not take drugs that leave them "uncool".

The main investigation dragged for awhile. I would have preferred an additional case rather than the prolonged rapper investigation.

Contemporary urban life in poor black neighbourhoods is a foreign land for someone who resides in rural Western Canada. Reading about their lives was interesting and sad and often frightening.

I.Q. or Isaiah is a great character. A loner with integrity will always appeal to me. I want to read more of his adventures. In his rise from a working class background to using his keen intelligence to educate himself and his unwavering integrity I was reminded of Maisie Dobbs.

I can see why the book won Anthony, Macavity and Shamus Awards. I thank Marian and J.D. at Sleuth of Baker Street bookstore for recommending the book to me.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the reminder of this one Bill. It languishes on the TBR pile and ought to be bumped closer to the top. I do enjoy a PI tale and this one has garnered a lot of praise (and awards)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Col: Thanks for the comment. When you get to it the reading will go swiftly. IQ is a great character.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you enjoyed this one, Bill. Like Col, I haven't (yet) read this one, but I want to, and I should. I keep hearing really good things about it, and it really does sound like an engaging story. Hmm...a pet chicken. I've only ever read about one other fictional sleuth who had a pet chicken living in the house. That's an interesting touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot: Thanks for the comment. IQ is interesting. I cannot think of another pet chicken. If you drop back to this post I wound be interested in the name of the sleuth.

      Delete
  3. I have this one too, but haven't read it. I need to get on a stick and do that, with your recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TracyK: Thanks for the comment. It is interesting that you, Margot and Col have either got the book or heard of it but none have read it. I expect you will enjoy it when you get to reading it.

      Delete