About Me

My photo
Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada
I am a lawyer in Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada who enjoys reading, especially mysteries. Since 2000 I have been writing personal book reviews. This blog includes my reviews, information on and interviews with authors and descriptions of mystery bookstores I have visited. I strive to review all Saskatchewan mysteries. Other Canadian mysteries are listed under the Rest of Canada. As a lawyer I am always interested in legal mysteries. I have a separate page for legal mysteries. Occasionally my reviews of legal mysteries comment on the legal reality of the mystery. You can follow the progression of my favourite authors with up to 15 reviews. Each year I select my favourites in "Bill's Best of ----". As well as current reviews I am posting reviews from 2000 to 2011. Below my most recent couple of posts are the posts of Saskatchewan mysteries I have reviewed alphabetically by author. If you only want a sentence or two description of the book and my recommendation when deciding whether to read the book look at the bold portion of the review. If you would like to email me the link to my email is on the profile page.

Wednesday, June 16, 2021

Citizen Vince by Jess Walter

Not having a current review ready I am looking back over a decade to a short review of a book I enjoyed so much it was 2nd on Bill's Best of Fiction for 2008. Walter is a good writer though it has been a decade since I read any of his books. In any event, Citizen Vance, is an exceptional book. 

****

8. - 418.) Citizen Vince by Jess Walter – Vince Camden is a donut maker / small time credit card fraudster / smaller time pot dealer in Spokane. He rises each day at 2:00 am to make his rounds of the modest underworld of Spokane before working from 4:00 to noon making donuts. In November of 1980 he is proud to register to vote for the first time in his 36 years. Vince has never voted because he has been felon all his life back in New York. Vince is in the witness protection program because he informed on his gang. Whenit is clear a Mob killer from New York is coming for him Vince decides to return home to make right his misdeeds. While there he finds twists in the story he never anticipated. At the same time he is focused on the presidential and local elections. Politics had never mattered. Interwoven are stories of the final days of the presidential campaign. Vince contemplates on the meaning of life, whether a man can change and for whom should he vote. It is a vivid portrayal of one of life’s losers who is no longer satisfied to be a loser. Alan Dupree is a rookie detective whose subtle mind and stubborn integrity are little respected within the profession. A wonderful book. Hardcover. (Feb. 16/08)


6 comments:

  1. I really loved this one myself Bill. I've read more from Walter over the years (not enough though) and I'm guessing it must be ten or so since I read this. I should re-visit his work, so thanks for the reminder! PS - I hope you and yours are keeping safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Col: Thanks for the comment. We have been safe and have had our second vaccinations. I think I should also read more of Walter.

      Delete
  2. I've heard that this one was good, Bill. What a fine mix of local and national politics, the life of a protected witness, and more. I can see why you enjoyed it as much as you did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot: Thanks for the comment. It was an interesting combination of unique characters in unusual situations.

      Delete
  3. I really liked his Beautiful Ruins and will have to give this one a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patti: Thanks for the comment. I have not read Beautiful Ruins. I shall consider getting a copy.

      Delete