About Me

My photo
Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada
I am a lawyer in Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada who enjoys reading, especially mysteries. Since 2000 I have been writing personal book reviews. This blog includes my reviews, information on and interviews with authors and descriptions of mystery bookstores I have visited. I strive to review all Saskatchewan mysteries. Other Canadian mysteries are listed under the Rest of Canada. As a lawyer I am always interested in legal mysteries. I have a separate page for legal mysteries. Occasionally my reviews of legal mysteries comment on the legal reality of the mystery. You can follow the progression of my favourite authors with up to 15 reviews. Each year I select my favourites in "Bill's Best of ----". As well as current reviews I am posting reviews from 2000 to 2011. Below my most recent couple of posts are the posts of Saskatchewan mysteries I have reviewed alphabetically by author. If you only want a sentence or two description of the book and my recommendation when deciding whether to read the book look at the bold portion of the review. If you would like to email me the link to my email is on the profile page.

Monday, October 23, 2023

The Discourtesy of Death by William Brodrick

(35. - 1174.) - The Discourtesy of Death by William Brodrick - I just knew it. By 15 pages into The Discourtesy of Death I was sure the author was a lawyer and had a deep connection to monastic life. I looked at the back page flyleaf and saw William Brodrick had been an Augustinian friar before leaving the order to become a lawyer. In the book he has reversed the experience with Father Anselm being a barrister before he was a Gilbertine monk. It is hard to be exact on why I was so certain beyond the easy familiarity in the book with the practice of law and the religious life.

An investigative reporter writes of Anselm’s successes in assisting several people beyond the help of conventional legal approaches. The priory receives multiple letters pleading for his help.

He is authorized by the Prior to assist “people on the margins of hope”. Rather than being called a detective Father Anselm prefers to be described as a “fretful explorer into the dark places of the human conscience”. A grand phrase but apt for a thoughtful sleuth of crime fiction.

The Prior has received a letter imploring Anselm to examine the death of Jenny Henderson. She had been a gifted dancer who left the stage when she had a son at 19. Her husband, Peter Henderson, a gifted academic spends little time with his family. He is too busy being a public thinker and opinion giver. Jenny, after establishing a dance school, is left a paraplegic from a fall at a recital of her students. She had returned to dance for her son. A few years later she is diagnosed with terminal bowel cancer. She dies sooner than anticipated.

Recruiting Mitch Robson, a man he had twice successfully defended from fraud charges, Anselm begins his investigation.

He is a subtle questioner. Few people are ready when asked directly what happened concerning an event. It is hard to deflect or avoid when you are asked for a narrative. Anselm has learned the power of silence. Let the tension build if a question is not promptly answered. Let the one being questioned struggle to respond.

I have asked a witness a question during a trial and waited and waited and waited for an answer. The seconds feel like an eternity. The silence of not wanting to answer becomes the answer.

Was Jenny murdered or given assistance in dying because she did not want a lingering death or did she die of natural causes?

Jenny was surrounded by intelligent people. Each has a narrative that he or she presses upon Anselm.

He listens intently and always skeptically.

Jenny’s father, Michael, served in the intelligence services of the British Army in Northern Ireland during “The Troubles” and returned a changed man. His nickname for Jenny before the fall was Nimblefoot.

Her mother, Emma, is a veterinarian well skilled in putting down animals.

Her Uncle Nigel is an Anglican minister who does his best to ease her anguish. Much of his communication with Jenny was by letter as he was out of England for much of the time following her fall.

Nigel’s wife, Helen, is perceptive and observant while basically overlooked by the other members of the family.

Her husband, Peter, abandons the life of a public intellectual and becomes her caregiver.

Her son, Timothy, is 12 at her death and 14 in the book. He is a bright young man who finds the dysfunctions of his family “weird”.

A fellow dancer, Vincent Cooper, has come to the area to repair classic cars. He sees Jenny often. He desperately wants to help her.

Dr. Ingleby, is her physician, a general practitioner who also provides care at a hospice. He sees Jenny at her home. He meets Anselm on the grounds of a long destroyed abbey. They talk in the ruins of the Chapter House, a place Anselm says “where everyone has the right to speak honestly without fear of condemnation, without fear of being quoted afterwards, without pressure to conform to the will of the majority”.

Did any hasten the end for Jenny?

Each conversation Anselm has with those who surrounded Jennie is mentally draining for him and the reader. The cover picture is apt showing Anselm engaged in deep thought.

Anselm states “ I look to the law” while others “in certain circumstances, will look the other way”. Anselm’s way leads to the Rule of Law. “The other way” leads to personal vigilante action which is often followed by further vigilantism.

Even in our current era of medically assisted dying in Canada it is inevitable there are difficult situations, especially when the terminally ill are beset by conflicting emotions. Yet it is worse when others decide on life and death.

Anselm knows that, for those with a conscience, being a vigilante will have  fearsome psychological consequences.

Anselm normally pursues “truth in its entirety” but this time the goal is unachievable for some secrets need to stay in the “cupboard”.

Brodrick is very skilful at providing twist after twist, always logical, always carefully presented, mostly unforeseen by me.

Anselm is a man of great integrity, conviction and faith. The moral issues challenge him and the reader. It has been some time since I had to think my way through a work of crime fiction.

Brodrick is an excellent writer. I want to know Father Anselm better.

4 comments:

  1. Anselm sounds like an absolutely fascinating character, Bill. And I can see how you'd be drawn to someone with that sort of background. The mystery itself sounds interesting, too. And you make such a good point about having to think your way through a novel. I always appreciate when an author respects the reader's intelligence. I'm very glad you enjoyed this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot: Thanks for the comment. The book recognizes that life and death often involve complex situations. I equally appreciate an author who has regard for the intelligence of readers.

      Delete
  2. I have the first book in this series, but have yet to read it. Father Anselm is an intriguing character, I should push this book up on my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TracyK: Thanks for the comment. Father Anselm is my favourite new sleuth of 2023. I hope you do read him soon.

      Delete