About Me

My photo
Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada
I am a lawyer in Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada who enjoys reading, especially mysteries. Since 2000 I have been writing personal book reviews. This blog includes my reviews, information on and interviews with authors and descriptions of mystery bookstores I have visited. I strive to review all Saskatchewan mysteries. Other Canadian mysteries are listed under the Rest of Canada. As a lawyer I am always interested in legal mysteries. I have a separate page for legal mysteries. Occasionally my reviews of legal mysteries comment on the legal reality of the mystery. You can follow the progression of my favourite authors with up to 15 reviews. Each year I select my favourites in "Bill's Best of ----". As well as current reviews I am posting reviews from 2000 to 2011. Below my most recent couple of posts are the posts of Saskatchewan mysteries I have reviewed alphabetically by author. If you only want a sentence or two description of the book and my recommendation when deciding whether to read the book look at the bold portion of the review. If you would like to email me the link to my email is on the profile page.

Wednesday, August 7, 2024

Damascus Station by David McCloskey

(37. - 1220.) Damascus Station by David McCloskey - Sam Joseph has been a CIA agent for 10 years. He is exceptionally skilled at recruitment. He has an easy charm that lets him make strangers feel instantly at ease. He is fluent in Arabic.

Early in the Syrian Civil War, around 2011, America has few assets in the Syrian governing elite. Driven by the consequences of a failed mission in Damscus he seeks out a mission to recruit Mariam Haddad, a political counselor at the Palace. Her father is a general. Her Christian family is at the heart of the Syrian establishment. She is a “real daughter of the regime”. However, her cousin, Razan, was brutalized by a member of the mukhabarat, one of the many Syrian security forces.

Miram is to be a Syrian developmental.

An operation is set up for Paris where she is recruiting, through intimidation, a dissident and supporter of the rebellion, Fatimah Wael, to return to Syria. Mariam provides a paper listing 22 relatives starting with Fatimah’s mother that the regime will arrest if Wael does not comply with its demands. Fatimah says no - “I intend to stay free”.

In Syria the mukhabarat use terror, often arresting and torturing and killing, to preserve government authority. They have no concern whether the arrested are guilty of anything.

The book reminded me that there was and is a significant Christian minority in Syria which is allied with the Assad regime. They know they will be harshly treated if the fundamentalist Muslim jihadis gain power.

Sam contrives to meet the beautiful Mariam at a reception and sets up a date where he gently establishes a relationship.

Mariam knows Sam is not a diplomat.

They meet again on the Riviera and everything blows up.

Mariam becomes a highly prized asset.

Knowing she will be tortured and executed if discovered versus his modest risks, Mariam tells Sam she expects more from their relationship than professional support and comradeship.

In Syria information comes from Russian intelligence that the Americans have a new asset in Syria.

Mariam is excited about being an agent while constantly fearing discovery.

How Mariam and Sam exchange information in Syria was fascinating and detailed.

I was surprised once again how many people receive confidential information about sources in the West. While possibly helpful in assessing credibility the risk of exposure to the source is immense.

The U.S. had a self-proclaimed red line that it would react if Assad uses poison gas. Assad has a large quantity of sarin.

Inside Syria there is justifiable paranoia for everyone. The war / rebellion is vicious. At the same time all are weary. Among the leadership, secrets are shared. Secrets on all sides are compromised by humans. Plots abound.

The real life storming of the American Embassy by a “mob” is replayed in fiction.

McCloskey has written an excellent thriller. He drives the narrative accelerating to the end. Damascus Station was recommended to me by Marian at the Sleuth of Baker Street bookstore. The violence is significant and the body count substantial but no more than the average current thriller. It is an impressive debut by the former CIA analyst. His story was vetted by the CIA to ensure he did not compromise systems or individuals. I look forward to reading his next book, Moscow X.

2 comments:

  1. It does sound like a high-tension thriller, Bill. I like the idea of learning more about a country, too (I don't know much about the Christian presence in Syria). High-octane thrillers aren't usually my first choice, but sometimes they are excellent, and this sounds like one with well-developed characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot: Thanks for the comment. High tension throughout the book. I do not know how real life spies can stand the tension.

      Delete