About Me

My photo
Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada
I am a lawyer in Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada who enjoys reading, especially mysteries. Since 2000 I have been writing personal book reviews. This blog includes my reviews, information on and interviews with authors and descriptions of mystery bookstores I have visited. I strive to review all Saskatchewan mysteries. Other Canadian mysteries are listed under the Rest of Canada. As a lawyer I am always interested in legal mysteries. I have a separate page for legal mysteries. Occasionally my reviews of legal mysteries comment on the legal reality of the mystery. You can follow the progression of my favourite authors with up to 15 reviews. Each year I select my favourites in "Bill's Best of ----". As well as current reviews I am posting reviews from 2000 to 2011. Below my most recent couple of posts are the posts of Saskatchewan mysteries I have reviewed alphabetically by author. If you only want a sentence or two description of the book and my recommendation when deciding whether to read the book look at the bold portion of the review. If you would like to email me the link to my email is on the profile page.

Monday, October 7, 2024

Bad Boy by Winona Kent

(49. - 1232.) Bad Boy by Winona Kent - In the fall of 2018 Jason Davey / Jason Figgis has returned to London after a tour with his mum’s band, Figgis Green. He is rehearsing with his jazz combo who have a permanent residency at the Blue Devil in Soho. He sums up his approach to music: 

I’m notorious for my everything-goes-audio-fusion. You can do it with food, so why not with music?

As a rehearsal winds down he gets a call from Marcus Merritt who wants him to sign a band program and hire him as a private investigator. Davey has gained some fame for solving mysteries. He is uninterested until Merritt mentions the meeting has to do with the composer Elgar. With his interest tweaked they meet at the top of The Shard. (The soaring spike, “soulless” to some, of a building appears on the front cover.)

I was equally caught up in what kind of mystery could involve Sir Edgar Elgar the long deceased, great modern classical composer.

The book shifts from light to dark in a stunning moment. Marcus hands him a book of band memorabilia and then takes “a run at the window at the southeast corner of the floor” and raises himself up over the open glass wall top. He looks at Jason and lets go falling 800 feet to the ground.

Inside the book is a train ticket and directions to go see Judy in the village of Newlydale. He finds Judy Galpin. She has more directions for him from Marcus. She surprises Davey and myself when she advises Marcus was her ex-husband.

Kent is deft at startling readers.

Judy takes him to Tissington, 20 minutes away, where Davey finds a nice bowl and instructions from Marcus to find the folder containing Elgar’s “original sketches, drafts and revisions to one of his best-known works, the Enigma Variations”. Marcus had stolen the folder and wants Davey to find it and offers a clue:

A courtesan skilled in the culinary arts. Ask for Tricia.

Determining the clue is a cryptic crossword type of clue Davey identifies the answer as Bakewell tart and pudding.

Marcus sends Jason on a journey for a folder containing Elgar’s “original sketches, drafts and revisions to one of his best-known works, the Enigma Variations” .

Marcus had a devious, clever, witty mind. His directions, actually puzzles, lead Jason on in his search, actually a quest, deep into the English countryside and back into the heart of London.

The buildings of Soho which were occupied by those making and selling popular music for over four decades are major characters. They are somewhat forlorn as the music trade has moved on except in the memories of those who once worked and sometimes lived in them. Jason has a vivid recall of the days of glory in Soho.

The light hearted nature of much of the questing contrasts so sharply with the suicide of Marcus and the involvement of the underworld, both English and foreign.

Jason is a bright man. He is a sleuth with whom the reader is comfortable. Once engaged he is a persistent investigator. As with myself the suicide of Marcus left Jason unnerved and unable to shake the image of Marcus sliding away to his death.

Despite the suicide in the back of my mind I enjoyed Jason’s quest, especially the historical music exploration. Kent has an impressive knowledge of popular music going back decades. Equally impressive is her knowledge of Elgar and his music.

I did find the resolution predictable rather than unexpected.

The story is crisply told in 214 pages.

Bad Boy is a good book. I am glad Winona sent me a copy.

1 comment:

  1. I find the music aspect of this one very interesting, Bill. While I'm not what you'd call sophisticated about it, I love music, so that appeals. And the history angle adds to the interest for me. I'm glad you enjoyed this.

    ReplyDelete