About Me

My photo
Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada
I am a lawyer in Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada who enjoys reading, especially mysteries. Since 2000 I have been writing personal book reviews. This blog includes my reviews, information on and interviews with authors and descriptions of mystery bookstores I have visited. I strive to review all Saskatchewan mysteries. Other Canadian mysteries are listed under the Rest of Canada. As a lawyer I am always interested in legal mysteries. I have a separate page for legal mysteries. Occasionally my reviews of legal mysteries comment on the legal reality of the mystery. You can follow the progression of my favourite authors with up to 15 reviews. Each year I select my favourites in "Bill's Best of ----". As well as current reviews I am posting reviews from 2000 to 2011. Below my most recent couple of posts are the posts of Saskatchewan mysteries I have reviewed alphabetically by author. If you only want a sentence or two description of the book and my recommendation when deciding whether to read the book look at the bold portion of the review. If you would like to email me the link to my email is on the profile page.

Friday, November 6, 2015

The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson

In my last post I put up a review of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson as a part of my two weeks with Lisabeth Salander and Mikael Blomkvist.

I read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo in the spring of 2009 and was anxious to read the second in the series, The Girl Who Played with Fire, as soon as possible. I was able to get a copy in the fall and I read it in a rush. It is my favourite in the trilogy. Tonight I put up my review. Thank you to those who have already provided their reaction to the series. 

****

35. – 498.) The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson – The second novel in Larsson’s trilogy featuring Lisbeth Salander and Mikael Blomkvist is as wonderful as the first. Lisbeth, after traveling the world for a year using the billions of kroner stolen from Wennerstrom, returns to Sweden. Fiercely independent and extremely reluctant to commit to any personal relationship she cuts off all contact with an extremely puzzled Blomkvist before her departure. On her return she looks for work to fill her life. While Lisbeth is adjusting to life with unlimited resources Blomkvist and Berger decide to publish both an issue of Millennium and a companion book on the sexual exploitation of young Slavic women lured or taken to Sweden for prostitution. Lisbeth’s legal guardian, the lawyer Bjurman, is plotting his revenge on Lisbeth and reaches out to criminal connections for assistance. In one horrifying night Bjurman, the writer of the expose, Dag Svensson and his partner Mia Johansson are murdered. When Lisbeth’s fingerprint shows up on the murder weapon, a gun owned by Bjurman, a massive womanhunt for Lisbeth is immediately launched. Tension builds from page to page as the police, her former employer Milton Security and the Millennium staff search for her. Cleverly Larsson goes weeks into the hunt without letting us know Lisbeth’s actions. Lisbeth is as frustrating, quirky, unpredictable, brilliant, violent and stubborn as the opening book. I could see every young Hollywood actress wanting the role. (There is a Swedish production.) It has been some time since I started or almost exclaimed aloud while reading a book. I did it twice in this novel. Lisbeth has become an unforgettable heroine. I raced along eager to read the next progression or twist in the plot. I hope the third book will be published this year. Larsson’s website said 12 million books have been sold out of the trilogy. Hardcover. (Sept. 4/09) (With The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo Best fiction of 2009)

12 comments:

  1. Lisbeth Salander is most definitely an innovative character, Bill, and that doesn't happen very often. And it's interesting how this trilogy moves between fast-paced action and background narrative, or at least a slightly slower pace. I'm not surprised you found it so powerful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot: Thanks for the comment. It is hard to have an unconventional credible character. Larsson succeeded brilliantly with Salander. From appearance through behaviour to her mind she is fascinating.

      Delete
  2. Bill, I enjoyed your review. It gives me a very good idea of what to expect in Larsson's trilogy without spoilers. I get the feeling that the series plays out over a considerable period of time. Of course, I could be wrong there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prashant: Thanks for the comment. The series does not precisely flow from book to book but there is not a lengthy period involved in the trilogy.

      Delete
  3. I never got on with Lizbeth Salander, but your enthusiasm is infectious, maybe I should give her another go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moira: Thanks for the comment. I find Lisbeth intriguing but not likeable. Of course, she could care less what I think of her.

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed Lisbeth's story, and I probably would have been a big fan of the trilogy had the books been briefer. But I stuck it out and read all three, so there obviously was some good there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. TracyK: Thanks for the comment. Except for the last book in the trilogy I did not mind the length. I certainly roared through the reading of them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, Lizbeth Salander is quite a character, memorable. A genius.

    In The Girl in the Spider's Web, the so-called fourth book by David Legercrantz, nothing really comes alive until Salander gets onto the pages. It's somewhat slow for 100 pages.
    Then Salander is at a very high-level math class and contemplating equations that reach infinity when I realized she's out of my league, but fascinating.
    She plays a good role in this book. Her people skills are lacking, but her genius is not.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kathy D.: Thanks for the comment. I think one of the reasons we love Lisbeth as a character is her utter fearlessness. Few of us could claim that trait.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lisbeth Salander is fearless and brilliant.

    But I love V.I. Warshawski, alter ego of Sara Paretsky. She is also fearless, brilliant, tough, independent, feisty and witty. But she has far better people skills than Salander and has friendships and romantic relationships.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kathy D.: V.I. is another wonderful character. I have not read the most recent books. I should get back to V.I.'s adventures.

    ReplyDelete