About Me

My photo
Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada
I am a lawyer in Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada who enjoys reading, especially mysteries. Since 2000 I have been writing personal book reviews. This blog includes my reviews, information on and interviews with authors and descriptions of mystery bookstores I have visited. I strive to review all Saskatchewan mysteries. Other Canadian mysteries are listed under the Rest of Canada. As a lawyer I am always interested in legal mysteries. I have a separate page for legal mysteries. Occasionally my reviews of legal mysteries comment on the legal reality of the mystery. You can follow the progression of my favourite authors with up to 15 reviews. Each year I select my favourites in "Bill's Best of ----". As well as current reviews I am posting reviews from 2000 to 2011. Below my most recent couple of posts are the posts of Saskatchewan mysteries I have reviewed alphabetically by author. If you only want a sentence or two description of the book and my recommendation when deciding whether to read the book look at the bold portion of the review. If you would like to email me the link to my email is on the profile page.

Saturday, April 2, 2016

New to Me Authors for January to March of 2016

Kerrie Smith, at her blog Mysteries in Paradise, hosts the meme New to Me Authors. I participate fairly often. It is an excellent place to get reading ideas for new authors, whether they are writing this year or a hundred years ago.

Most quarters I read 5-6 new authors. For January to March of 2016 I read 4 new authors though reading a trilogy by Philip Kerr was probably the difference in not reaching my usual new author pace.

The books and authors are:

            1.) Hostage by Kristina Ohlsson;

            2.) The Berlin Noir trio by Philip Kerr:

                        a.) March Violets;
                        b.) The Pale Criminal; and,
                        c.) A German Requiem.

            3.) The Hotel on Place Vendome by Tilar J. Mazzeo; and,

            4.) Wail of the Wendigo by Steve Pitt

Within the group The Hotel on Place Vendome is a work of non-fiction. I have not published my review but it will be up this second quarter of 2016. The book is a portrait of the Ritz Hotel in Paris especially during the World War II occupation by the Nazis.
 
One of the group was a Canadian author. Wail of the Wendigo, is part of the Young Adult series of books on the adventures of young future Canadian Prime Ministers. It is about the young Pierre Trudeau in the Yukon.

My favourite new author this quarter was an easy choice. I loved the Berlin Noir trilogy. I wish I had started reading Bernie Gunther mysteries much sooner. He is a fascinating character living in a place (Germany) at a time (Third Reich mainly) that is of great interest to me.

I started reading March Violets with the idea I would read the opening book and decide if I would return later to finish the trilogy. Once started I swept through all three books.

It is harder to decide which of the three books would be my top choice.

After looking at my reviews I choose March Violets. As with most series I find I enjoy the first in a series best as it is the story that has drawn me into the sleuth’s life and times.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not surprised at all, Bill, that you chose the Berlin Noir trilogy. Kerr writes very well. And I think he's created a layered and complex character in Bernie Gunther. His books have a solid feel for the era, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot: Thanks for the comment. I like your description of Bernie as layered and complex.

      Delete