About Me

My photo
Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada
I am a lawyer in Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada who enjoys reading, especially mysteries. Since 2000 I have been writing personal book reviews. This blog includes my reviews, information on and interviews with authors and descriptions of mystery bookstores I have visited. I strive to review all Saskatchewan mysteries. Other Canadian mysteries are listed under the Rest of Canada. As a lawyer I am always interested in legal mysteries. I have a separate page for legal mysteries. Occasionally my reviews of legal mysteries comment on the legal reality of the mystery. You can follow the progression of my favourite authors with up to 15 reviews. Each year I select my favourites in "Bill's Best of ----". As well as current reviews I am posting reviews from 2000 to 2011. Below my most recent couple of posts are the posts of Saskatchewan mysteries I have reviewed alphabetically by author. If you only want a sentence or two description of the book and my recommendation when deciding whether to read the book look at the bold portion of the review. If you would like to email me the link to my email is on the profile page.

Thursday, August 15, 2019

Fresh Evidence in Fiction and Real Life

Sophie Weber, in Beyond All Reasonable Doubt by Malin Persson Giolito, undertakes the difficult task of winning a criminal appeal in the Swedish court system. 

The challenge is compounded by the lack of legal error in the conduct of the trial.

She is left with establishing the evidence securing the conviction was unreliable. In her thorough review of the file she finds important evidence not presented at trial and evidence that forensic testimony was unreliable. Presenting evidence and attacking an expert are both very difficult on appeal.

As I do not know Swedish criminal law I shall discuss the case in the book using the process that would apply in Canada. I have personal experience in this area from a civil case. The law is essentially the same in criminal law.

To bring evidence to the Court of Appeal not given at trial is to apply to introduce fresh evidence. Such applications are rarely granted.

They are considered on what is often called the Palmer test. In a case involving Walmart the Saskatchewan Court of Appeal set out the four factors from the test that must be met to admit fresh evidence:

“The evidence will not be admitted, if by due diligence it could have been used at trial;
“The evidence must be relevant in the sense that it bears upon a decisive or potentially decisive issue in the action;
“The evidence must be credible in the sense that it is reasonably capable of belief; and,
“ It must be such that if believed could reasonably, when taken with the other evidence adduced at trial, be expected to have affected the result.”

The fresh evidence in the Swedish case was available though buried in the extensive disclosure provided by the prosecution.

In my case involving a question of arson in a claim for insurance coverage the original lawyer for my clients, though he knew samples had been taken from the house, did not check for the results. Had he obtained the results he would have learned there was no evidence of accelerants. My clients had lost the trial with him as their lawyer.


Weber could argue as we did that the trial lawyer did not do his job properly. While appellate courts do not want to be plagued with cases on the competency of trial lawyers there is a sub-factor that in criminal cases the element of “due diligence” is not applied as strictly.

In the Swedish case and my case the second factor was clearly met for the fresh evidence dealt with the decisive issue. In the criminal case it challenged the forensic base for tying the accused to the murder. In my case it challenged the report of an expert who had said the fire was deliberately set though that expert had not considered the negative test results for accelerants in his report.

With regard to the third factor the evidence was in Sweden, as in my case, physical evidence that was reliable.

The fourth factor is met in the Swedish case for, when the fresh evidence is accepted, there is no evidence to tie the accused to the murder. In my case the test results  of the crime laboratory could, in the words of the factor, “reasonably, when taken with the other evidence adduced at trial, be expected to have affected the result” on the cause of the fire.

“Fresh” is a vivid word to use in describing evidence sought to be admitted on appeal that was not part of the trial. I cannot recall any crime fiction featuring a “fresh” evidence application.
****
Giolito, Malin Persson - (2019) - Beyond All Reasonable Doubt

4 comments:

  1. Thanks, Bill, for sharing your experience and perspective on new evidence. My guess is that that doesn't happen very often (although I can see how it conceivably could happen, especially as new technologies develop). It's one of those cases (in my opinion, anyway) where what you see on TV and film isn't much like what happens in real court cases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot: Thanks for the comment. Few applications are made to introduce fresh evidence and fewer succeed. It is a powerful application when the evidence is decisive. I am surprised more authors do not use such applications in their mysteries.

      Delete
  2. One of the factors you quote seems to be designed to rule out re-opening appeals.... “The evidence will not be admitted, if by due diligence it could have been used at trial; ..... the competence of representation is surely of significance allied with new material?

    I'm no legal brain, obviously but it seems a bit harsh to me. Wouldn't the court want to ensure justice was served properly and the right result obtained? Or am I naive?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Col: The rule is stringent for several reasons.

    The courts do not want constant appeals because a lawyer has not done their job well. If a client chooses a lawyer who does not work hard to seek out the evidence available, often a less expensive lawyer for that reason, they do not get another trial to try again with another lawyer.

    In every case, criminal or civil, there are choices to be made on witnesses and exhibits. Lawyers have the responsibility to advise on and often make those choices. When a trial turns out badly the client can rarely win an appeal because the lawyer made choices that did not win the case.

    If crucial evidence is missed because of a trial counsel such applications, as in my case, can succeed.

    ReplyDelete