About Me

My photo
Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada
I am a lawyer in Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada who enjoys reading, especially mysteries. Since 2000 I have been writing personal book reviews. This blog includes my reviews, information on and interviews with authors and descriptions of mystery bookstores I have visited. I strive to review all Saskatchewan mysteries. Other Canadian mysteries are listed under the Rest of Canada. As a lawyer I am always interested in legal mysteries. I have a separate page for legal mysteries. Occasionally my reviews of legal mysteries comment on the legal reality of the mystery. You can follow the progression of my favourite authors with up to 15 reviews. Each year I select my favourites in "Bill's Best of ----". As well as current reviews I am posting reviews from 2000 to 2011. Below my most recent couple of posts are the posts of Saskatchewan mysteries I have reviewed alphabetically by author. If you only want a sentence or two description of the book and my recommendation when deciding whether to read the book look at the bold portion of the review. If you would like to email me the link to my email is on the profile page.

Sunday, April 12, 2020

Force of Nature by Jane Harper

Force of Nature by Jane Harper - Harper grabs the reader and but she let go of me. As in The Dry there is a dramatic opening in rural Australia. In Force of Nature five women go into the bush as part of a team building exercise on a corporate retreat. Four return.

They all worked at BaileyTennants, a “boutique accountancy”.

Alice Russell, 45, is missing. Roughing it is not her customary style:

Her blonde hair had been pinned in a complicated style and she was wearing a silvery dress that showed off the hours she spent in the gym. She looked a good five years younger than her true age, maybe more.

Alice or someone using her phone had called a pair of numbers early in the morning she disappeared from the group. Australian federal police officer, Aaron Falk, received a 4:25 am phone message filled with static that ends with the chilling words “hurt her”. The other attempted call was to emergency.

Falk and his partner, Carmen Cooper, have been investigating generational money laundering at BaileyTennants. To avoid prosecution Alice had agreed to provide inside information.

The book shifts back and forth from the search for Alice to the ill fated camping expedition.

I found it striking that it was considered safe to send into the bush on their own 5 women with limited, decades earlier, experience in camping. Add to that risk they had no means of communicating if they encountered trouble. If the venture reflects real life Australians have a high tolerance of danger.

It was no surprise the women encountered problems on their second day in the bush. A fork in the trail and Breanna, a hungover map reader, sends them down the right fork. 

After the trek Falk and Carmen, more anxious about their source than her safety, visit Bree at the hospital . She is Alice’s administrative coordinator.

Bree’s twin sister, Beth, though only a data processing and archiving clerk was also on the trip. Her personal demons and addictions have left her much heavier and more psychologically burdened than Bree.

Mid-afternoon the hikers realize they have taken the wrong trail. There are arguments. Should they attempt to re-trace their steps? Should they move cross country to meet up with the proper trail?

Lurking in their minds are the stories of Martin Kovac. A serial killer of women who prowled this area. He has died in prison but his presence haunts the bush.

Over 150 pages into the book I knew virtually nothing of the backgrounds of the detectives or their investigation into BaileyTenants.

It is hard to sustain a story of lost hikers, especially when you know what happened at the end of the hike except for one member of the group. Further suspense evaporated when, early in the book, there was some information on what happened in the bush.

The interactions between the women were not enough to sustain the story for me. 

The secrets of the characters that worked so well in The Dry are not as effective here.

As in The Dry weather and the land were important but they could not carry the plot.

At 250 pages there was still little on Falk and less on Carmen. I appreciated Falk’s background was a theme in The Dry but I needed more in Force of Nature, especially about his experiences in the investigation of financial crime. As for Carmen I knew no more than she started by investigating crimes against children and had a fiance.

At 300 pages there was a meaningful discussion between Falk and Carmen over his life. I wish it had taken place 200 pages earlier and been followed up with more scenes on their lives and relationship.

Harper tells the story well. She drew me through the book. The paces and tension do escalate in the final 100 pages. There is a compelling ending.

Wondering how other reviewers reacted to the book I took a look around the net. I am definitely in the minority. Most reviewers loved the book.
****
Harper, Jane - (2018) - The Dry (Reviewed by reviewing Bernadette's review) and A Fictional and a Real Life Mass Murder of a Family

4 comments:

  1. I've heard a lot of good things about this one, too, Bill. But if it didn't hold and keep you, so to speak, it didn't. I know what you mean about getting to know the characters. I feel that way, too, when I read. I want to know something about the characters' backgrounds, lives, etc.. That said, though, it sounds as though this did have a sense of place, and I always like that in a novel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot: Thanks for the comment. The sense of place is strong and certainly Australia. There was character development available had Harper so chosen.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for your review. Your concern is well stated, and the fact that you did like The Dry gives further credence to your overall assessment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christophe: Thanks for the comment. I would be interested in hearing from you again if you happened to read the book.

      Delete