About Me

My photo
Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada
I am a lawyer in Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada who enjoys reading, especially mysteries. Since 2000 I have been writing personal book reviews. This blog includes my reviews, information on and interviews with authors and descriptions of mystery bookstores I have visited. I strive to review all Saskatchewan mysteries. Other Canadian mysteries are listed under the Rest of Canada. As a lawyer I am always interested in legal mysteries. I have a separate page for legal mysteries. Occasionally my reviews of legal mysteries comment on the legal reality of the mystery. You can follow the progression of my favourite authors with up to 15 reviews. Each year I select my favourites in "Bill's Best of ----". As well as current reviews I am posting reviews from 2000 to 2011. Below my most recent couple of posts are the posts of Saskatchewan mysteries I have reviewed alphabetically by author. If you only want a sentence or two description of the book and my recommendation when deciding whether to read the book look at the bold portion of the review. If you would like to email me the link to my email is on the profile page.

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Buffalo Jump by Howard Shrier

20. - 533.) Buffalo Jump by Howard Shrier – An unusual Canadian mystery for the hero, Jonah Geller, is hard boiled in the sense most disputes are settled violently. He does not fit the classic American mould with his Jewish mother wanting him to settle down. He has learned how to fight as a volunteer in the Israeli military. Employed in a private Toronto security firm he is assisting in the investigation of a nursing home over the care of a deceased client when life becomes complicated. He is approached by a mob hitman reluctant to kill a pharmacist and his family. Jonah is drawn into the world of Canadian prescription drugs being sent south because they are so much cheaper than what Americans can get from their druggists. It is the dark side of a business of which I had only heard vaguely. I felt vaguely discomforted all book by the level of violence. It seemed so un-Canadian. I believe I would have found it normal if there had been an American hero. For a Western Canadian reader the title was misleading. It has nothing to do with Buffalo being stampeded over the edge of a bluff. It is the first mystery I have read involving the Canadian mob. They are as vicious as their fictional American counterparts. I expect to read the second to see whether the violence is as prominent and as bothersome. (May 8/10)

No comments:

Post a Comment