About Me

My photo
Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada
I am a lawyer in Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada who enjoys reading, especially mysteries. Since 2000 I have been writing personal book reviews. This blog includes my reviews, information on and interviews with authors and descriptions of mystery bookstores I have visited. I strive to review all Saskatchewan mysteries. Other Canadian mysteries are listed under the Rest of Canada. As a lawyer I am always interested in legal mysteries. I have a separate page for legal mysteries. Occasionally my reviews of legal mysteries comment on the legal reality of the mystery. You can follow the progression of my favourite authors with up to 15 reviews. Each year I select my favourites in "Bill's Best of ----". As well as current reviews I am posting reviews from 2000 to 2011. Below my most recent couple of posts are the posts of Saskatchewan mysteries I have reviewed alphabetically by author. If you only want a sentence or two description of the book and my recommendation when deciding whether to read the book look at the bold portion of the review. If you would like to email me the link to my email is on the profile page.

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Dead Simple by Peter James

31. - 544.) Dead Simple by Peter James – A police procedural that grabbed my attention such that I almost leaped ahead in the book to find out what was happening. In a chapter that sent a chill down my back Michael Harrison, in an outlandish bachelor party prank, is buried in a coffin by members of his wedding party. Who does not fear being buried alive? A horrorific car accident kills the group that entombed him. English Detective Superintendent, Roy Grace, investigates the bizarre circumstances of the disappeared groom. At 39, the lonely Grace continues to wrestle with the disappearance of his wife, Sandy, 9 years ago. While rigorously following police procedures he is open to the assistance of mediums. As the book progressed there was a stretch I thought the story was veering off into the improbable but there is a realistic tying together of the plot. I raced along in the book anxious to learn Harrison’s fate. If the book is not a movie or mini-series in the near future I will be very surprised. Excellent. Paperback or hardcover (Aug. 1/10)

No comments:

Post a Comment