About Me

My photo
Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada
I am a lawyer in Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada who enjoys reading, especially mysteries. Since 2000 I have been writing personal book reviews. This blog includes my reviews, information on and interviews with authors and descriptions of mystery bookstores I have visited. I strive to review all Saskatchewan mysteries. Other Canadian mysteries are listed under the Rest of Canada. As a lawyer I am always interested in legal mysteries. I have a separate page for legal mysteries. Occasionally my reviews of legal mysteries comment on the legal reality of the mystery. You can follow the progression of my favourite authors with up to 15 reviews. Each year I select my favourites in "Bill's Best of ----". As well as current reviews I am posting reviews from 2000 to 2011. Below my most recent couple of posts are the posts of Saskatchewan mysteries I have reviewed alphabetically by author. If you only want a sentence or two description of the book and my recommendation when deciding whether to read the book look at the bold portion of the review. If you would like to email me the link to my email is on the profile page.

Friday, December 2, 2011

Memoirs of a Master Forger by William Heaney

24. - 487.) Memoirs of a Master Forger by William Heaney (actual name of the author is Graham Joyce) – What a strange book. I do not know whether Heaney is the name of the actual author for he is the narrator. An administrator in Youth Affairs in English government in London Heaney is a connesieur of demons. He opens the book with the bold statement that there are 1,567 different known demons. They lurk around people afflicted with them. Heaney started dealing with demons in university. He can now spot them. As he roams London amidst the demons he forges old books with two companions. They justify their forgeries by good works. He gives the profits to a homeless refuge. Heaney, divorced with teenage and adult children, finds his solitary existence invaded by the beautiful Yasmin who pursues him. All his decisions are affected by the demons he sees around him. A select few can also see the demons. It is neither mystery nor thriller. It is neither supernatural nor horror. I have never read a book like it. I cannot say I really liked it. I was glad I read it. There is an understanding of the human condition through a unique lens. It will hard for me not to think we are surrounded by demons. It did seem odd to me that he does not see angels if he sees demons. In almost aside he describes angels as a form of demons. It does not make sense to me. If demons exist angels exist. It is curious that his demons have no origins. There is no reference to a religious connection. They just exist. If it were a series I would not read another. (June 20/09)

No comments:

Post a Comment