About Me

My photo
Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada
I am a lawyer in Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada who enjoys reading, especially mysteries. Since 2000 I have been writing personal book reviews. This blog includes my reviews, information on and interviews with authors and descriptions of mystery bookstores I have visited. I strive to review all Saskatchewan mysteries. Other Canadian mysteries are listed under the Rest of Canada. As a lawyer I am always interested in legal mysteries. I have a separate page for legal mysteries. Occasionally my reviews of legal mysteries comment on the legal reality of the mystery. You can follow the progression of my favourite authors with up to 15 reviews. Each year I select my favourites in "Bill's Best of ----". As well as current reviews I am posting reviews from 2000 to 2011. Below my most recent couple of posts are the posts of Saskatchewan mysteries I have reviewed alphabetically by author. If you only want a sentence or two description of the book and my recommendation when deciding whether to read the book look at the bold portion of the review. If you would like to email me the link to my email is on the profile page.

Thursday, August 23, 2012

The Private Patient by P.D. James

1. - 464.) The Private Patient by P.D. James – Another closed setting in rural England. Mr. George Chandler-Powell has a clinic in the Manor, a large traditional home in Dorset. At the clinic he conducts cosmetic surgery on wealthy women. Rhoda Gradwyn, a 47 year old investigative journalist, with a terrible scar from her teenage years decides to have the scar removed at the clinic as she no longer needs it. Suspense is created in the opening sentence of the mystery which states she is to die in 3 weeks and 2 days. She is killed at the Manor and Adam Dagleish is called to investigate the murder. James stirs interest when we learn that Adam and Emma have become engaged. In Dorset Adam and his team are challenged by an equal opportunity murder. Any of the 9 present could have murdered Gradwyn. The setting is eerie in that there is ring of pre-historic stones next to the Manor at which a woman was burned 400 years ago. As they probe the stories of the residents and their histories potential grudges against Gradwyn are discovered. The ending is more satisfying than recent Dagleish stories. The solution is plausible and not created by unknown facts. There is a touch of ambiguity that is unusual in a mystery. At 88 James continues to write beautifully. Her mysteries are works of art. Hardcover. (Jan. 1/09)

8 comments:

  1. Bill - I couldn't agree with you more about James' writing. I really do admire it. And I think you've got a very good point that this particular novel features a very well-done ending. I liked the claustrophobic feel of the setting too. James has a way of using that to provide foreshadowing and solid tension.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really have to read more of her writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read a P D James for some years, so am at least two girlfriends behind! (My favourite James is An Unsuitable Job for a Woman, and I wish she'd continued for a bit longer with the Cordelia Gray character). Thanks for reminding me of what a good writer she is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Margot: Thanks for the comment. Few authors create tension better and no host of bodies are needed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Clarissa: Thanks for the comment. I consider her a writer of great prose.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maxine: I like Adam alot better than Cordelia. I look forward to you returning to James and seeing your comments after some time away from her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed this book although I don't think it was quite up to the standard of her earlier books. But she is an incredible writer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sarah: Thanks for the comment. I had felt out of step with reviewers of other recent books of the Baroness which they liked better than myself. I am glad bloggers reach independent decisions on books they read.

    ReplyDelete