About Me

My photo
Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada
I am a lawyer in Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada who enjoys reading, especially mysteries. Since 2000 I have been writing personal book reviews. This blog includes my reviews, information on and interviews with authors and descriptions of mystery bookstores I have visited. I strive to review all Saskatchewan mysteries. Other Canadian mysteries are listed under the Rest of Canada. As a lawyer I am always interested in legal mysteries. I have a separate page for legal mysteries. Occasionally my reviews of legal mysteries comment on the legal reality of the mystery. You can follow the progression of my favourite authors with up to 15 reviews. Each year I select my favourites in "Bill's Best of ----". As well as current reviews I am posting reviews from 2000 to 2011. Below my most recent couple of posts are the posts of Saskatchewan mysteries I have reviewed alphabetically by author. If you only want a sentence or two description of the book and my recommendation when deciding whether to read the book look at the bold portion of the review. If you would like to email me the link to my email is on the profile page.

Sunday, May 29, 2016

2016 Winners of the Arthur Ellis Awards for Canadian Crime Fiction

Congratulations to the winners of the 2016 Arthur Ellis Award winners. They were announced at the annual banquet of the Crime Writers of Canada.

Best Novel:
Peter Kirby, Open Season, Linda Leith Publishing
 
Best First Novel:
Ausma Zehanat Khan, The Unquiet Dead, Minotaur Books
 
The Lou Allen Memorial Award for Best Novella*:
Jeremy Bates, Black Canyon, Ghillinnein Books
 
Best Short Story:
Scott Mackay, The Avocado Kid, Ellery Queen’s Mystery Magazine
 
Best Book in French:
Luc Chartrand, L'Affaire Myosotis, Québec Amérique
 
Best Juvenile/YA :
Stephanie Tromly, Trouble is a Friend of Mine, Kathy Dawson Books
 
Best Nonfiction:
Dean Jobb, Empire of Deception, HarperCollins Publishers
 
The Dundurn Unhanged Arthur for Best Unpublished First Crime Novel:
Jayne Barnard, When the Flood Falls

The Grand Master Award winner was distinguished Canadian mystery author Eric Wright. The CWC announcement summarized his career:

     He wrote eighteen crime novels, in four different series,
     as well as novels, a novella, and a memoir. Eric’s first
     novel, The Night the Gods Smiled (1983), won the first
     Arthur Ellis Award for Best Crime Novel, the John
     Creasey Award from the Crime Writers’ Association
     (CWA), and the City of Toronto Book Award. The
     Kidnapping of Rosie Dawn (2000) won an Arthur
     and was nominated for an Edgar from the Mystery Writers
     of America (MWA).

He died last year not long after being advised he had been chosen Grand Master.

As I have done for the past few years I am working my way through the shortlist of Best Novel and will be reviewing them shortly and providing my thoughts on which is the best mystery.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Bill, for calling attention to this. It is a shame Wright couldn't be there to actually receive his award, but it's very good to hear that he knew he would receive it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Margot: Thanks for the comment. Wright was one of Canada's best mystery writers. I am glad when organizations honour people sooner than when they are near the end.

    ReplyDelete