About Me

My photo
Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada
I am a lawyer in Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada who enjoys reading, especially mysteries. Since 2000 I have been writing personal book reviews. This blog includes my reviews, information on and interviews with authors and descriptions of mystery bookstores I have visited. I strive to review all Saskatchewan mysteries. Other Canadian mysteries are listed under the Rest of Canada. As a lawyer I am always interested in legal mysteries. I have a separate page for legal mysteries. Occasionally my reviews of legal mysteries comment on the legal reality of the mystery. You can follow the progression of my favourite authors with up to 15 reviews. Each year I select my favourites in "Bill's Best of ----". As well as current reviews I am posting reviews from 2000 to 2011. Below my most recent couple of posts are the posts of Saskatchewan mysteries I have reviewed alphabetically by author. If you only want a sentence or two description of the book and my recommendation when deciding whether to read the book look at the bold portion of the review. If you would like to email me the link to my email is on the profile page.

Thursday, April 4, 2019

Poppy by Jay Black

(February 3, 2022 - Recently the author advised me that he has re-written the book and it will soon be re-published. I would encourage readers of this blog to consider the revised book on its own merits.)

Poppy by Jay Black - Looking at the photo on the cover and the title I assumed “Poppy” was the story of a woman. As has happened so many times in my life when I made an assumption I was wrong. Poppy is Tom Pospisil. I find it hard to understand when a cover photo is misleading. At the same time what I found most interesting about the cover is that there is nary a blurb on front or back or inside. I was glad to see a book stand on its own.

It is 2008 and Poppy has just retired from the Vancouver Police Department. Having sold his home for $3.3 million he has bought a condo on the Downtown Eastside and a third share in 10-33, a pub, across the back alley from the Woodward building where his condo is located.

He is widowed and has two sons.

David is in the Canadian military on assignment in Afghanistan. Canadian forces are in the heart of the conflict at Kandahar and Poppy is worried about David.

Danny, a drug addict, is calling from jail on a charge of trespass seeking help as he is worried about a drug dealer in jail with him harming him because he and a friend stole drugs from the dealer. Poppy does not believe him and refuses to help, the first time he has left Danny to face the consequences of his drug use.

The 10-33 is not doing well once it became known it is owned by retired police officers. A bartender suggests renovating it to be a cop bar.

David is killed by an IED and Daniel is injected with a hot shot of heroin. The scene where Poppy learns, almost simultaneously, what happened to each son is gripping, especially as I have two sons. (Thankfully there are no comparable dramas in their lives.) I will not forget Poppy’s reaction.

Instead of staying with Daniel Poppy travels to Ontario for the repatriation ceremony where David is brought home to Canada. Together with the families of three fellow deceased soldiers they drive to Toronto on Highway 401, now known as the Highway of Heroes. My next post will discuss those journeys.

Poppy is forced by a military grief officer, Lieutenant Genevieve Rich, to confront his feelings about David, Daniel and his deceased wife, Monique.

It is a revelation for Poppy addressing what he has done and not done with his sons over the years since Monique died. Regrets are bubbling up.

And then the story shifts to a conspiracy over business and government roles in the worldwide drug trade. There is an over 90% chance the heroin injected into Daniel came from Afghanistan. Convincing conspiracies are difficult.

Poppy refers to the Taliban, with the aid of the U.N.,  almost eradicating poppies in Afghanistan and the huge increase in poppy growing after the Taliban were driven from power. He suggests there was corruption at the highest level to allow drug trafficking to flourish. He asserts Canadian banks are awash in drug money.

It is a selective look at the reasons for the war in Afghanistan and continuing presence of non-Afghani forces. It totally ignores the brutality of the Taliban regime, especially toward women. Nations across the Western world joined the war in Afghanistan to support their ally, the United States, and share in the confrontation against the Taliban who supported and harboured terrorists. Had he asserted staying in Afghanistan is a futile exercise he would have had a credible position.

Asserting members of the Canadian military leadership are corrupt while honouring his son’s sacrifice as a soldier is a delicate exercise.

When drug dealers go after him and those around him harm he goes to war personally.

The action scenes are well done.

The longer the book went the more simplistic and predictable the plot was becoming until an unexpected twist turned the story away from vigilante action.

The book was interesting but no better. I really think the author needed an editor.

Among the flaws was the description of how a criminal charge was laid, a plea of guilty entered and a sentence imposed. It was unlike any criminal proceeding I have experienced in over 40 years of practice.

Poppy is the first book in a trilogy. I do not expect to read the second.

2 comments:

  1. Just from reading your description, Bill, it sounds as though the book isn't quite sure what it wants to be, if I can put it that way. I can see what you mean about needing a good editor. It sounds, too, as though there is a lot of sadness and grief in the novel. The settings interest me, but I think I'll give this one a miss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot: Thanks for the comment. There is a great deal of tragedy. The setting was intriguing.

      Delete