About Me

My photo
Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada
I am a lawyer in Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada who enjoys reading, especially mysteries. Since 2000 I have been writing personal book reviews. This blog includes my reviews, information on and interviews with authors and descriptions of mystery bookstores I have visited. I strive to review all Saskatchewan mysteries. Other Canadian mysteries are listed under the Rest of Canada. As a lawyer I am always interested in legal mysteries. I have a separate page for legal mysteries. Occasionally my reviews of legal mysteries comment on the legal reality of the mystery. You can follow the progression of my favourite authors with up to 15 reviews. Each year I select my favourites in "Bill's Best of ----". As well as current reviews I am posting reviews from 2000 to 2011. Below my most recent couple of posts are the posts of Saskatchewan mysteries I have reviewed alphabetically by author. If you only want a sentence or two description of the book and my recommendation when deciding whether to read the book look at the bold portion of the review. If you would like to email me the link to my email is on the profile page.

Wednesday, July 17, 2019

A Differentiated Homework Plan

Tom Milley
Class Action by Steven B. Frank involves a court action by Los Angeles elementary school students seeking a court order banning homework. In my last post, a review of the book, I set out the entertaining and thought provoking arguments of the children that homework unnecessarily interfered with their right to be kids.

In the book Frank referred to a series of actual American Supreme Court decisions involving schools and related them to the issue of homework.

Most famous was Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka, Kansas which struck down the “separate but equal” schools of America which had perpetuated segregation and provided inferior education to African Americans.

Most unusual was A.M. v. Holmes which “upheld the arrest of a thirteen-year-old boy for fake-burping in gym class”.

Most significant for the children’s case was Goss v. Lopez which “established education as a property right”. The Court was dealing with the issue of whether Ohio schools could suspend students for 10 days or less without a hearing.

In the majority opinion Mr. Justice White stated:

A short suspension is, of course, a far milder deprivation than expulsion. But, “education is perhaps the most important function of state and local governments,” Brown v. Board of Education, 347 U.S. 483, 347 U.S. 493 (1954), and the total exclusion from the educational process for more than a trivial period, and certainly if the suspension is for 10 days, is a serious event in the life of the suspended child. Neither the property interest in educational benefits temporarily denied nor the liberty interest in reputation, which is also implicated, is so insubstantial that suspensions may be constitutionally imposed by any procedure the school chooses, no matter how arbitrary.


Yet the case reference in the book that caught my attention was a Canadian case:

…. If you look to common law principles to support our claim, you’ll find that in 2009 the Supreme Court of Canada granted one family the right to refuse homework for their son.

I was intrigued. Was there such a case? I could not recall such a decision.

My research showed there was no court decision but there was a unique agreement negotiated in 2009 by Shelli and Tom Milley, Calgary lawyers, with the Calgary Catholic School Board that their younger children would not have to do homework.

In a Globe and Mail article the Milley’s were prompted to take action because:

Shelli and Tom Milley were exhausted by the weepy weeknight struggles over math problems and writing assignments with their three school-aged children. They were fed up with rushing home from soccer practice or speed skating only to stand over their kids tossing out answers so they could finish and get to bed.

And don't even get them started on the playground their daughter, Brittany, had to build in Grade 3 from recycled materials, complete with moving parts. Or the time their eldest son, Jay, was told to cut pictures of $1-million worth of consumer goods from a catalogue.

They reviewed studies that suggested homework, especially for younger grades, did not show a clear link “between work at home and school performance”.

The Milley’s valued education but wanted the opportunity to determine as parents what extra work was needed. They spoke of the frustration of not having time to focus on specific needs. They wanted to work on spelling with Brittany but could not because of all the other homework.

Having struggled through homework with their 18 year old son, Jay, they wanted a different arrangement with their younger children, Spencer who was 11 and Brittany who was 10. It took two years but they reached an agreement with the administration called a “differentiated homework plan”.

In the agreement:

. their teachers will have to mark them based on what they do in class, and cannot send work home that factors into their grades.

More specifically:

The contract the Milleys and their children signed doesn't go just one way. While preventing teachers from giving penalties when homework isn't done, it also puts clear expectations on the students and their parents - to practice a musical instrument, for instance, and read daily, two activities more clearly linked to academic success, Ms. Milley suggested, than racing through leftover homework. And the parents agreed to make sure their children have "opportunities" to review class work and study for tests. (Although that may as well be homework, Ms. Milley observed wryly, noting that, by her count, Spencer has had roughly 28 quizzes and tests in about 38 class days of Grade 7.) The bottom line: the Milley kids won't be doing any school-assigned work at home any time soon ....

 In an interview with the CBC:

With that bit of paper, Shelli Milley says the children can now go straight to bed after Girl Guides, gymnastics, speed skating and music lessons, without them, or their parents, having to complete long multiplication or jiggle decimal points.

Subsequently individual agreements were worked out on homework with some other parents. Those agreements were more informal.

Tragically Tom died suddenly a year later.

I do not recall excessive homework when I was in grade school. More time was spent at home studying for exams than in homework. I certainly had enough time to read. I would go through about 6 books every two weeks as that was the maximum number of books I could take out of the library.

6 comments:

  1. What an interesting background on real-life litigation and legislation, Bill. And there really is an issue in the field of education about how much (if any) homework is to be required. In some countries, young people have a very heavy load of out-of-school work to do. In others, it's nearly none. And some of those 'nearly none' countries rank higher than the US and Canada do with respect to testing scores. Homework can be very controversial, and I've been enjoying your posts on this book about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot: Thanks for the comment. I think kids and adults should have play time as well as work time. I believe homework should be limited so there is a balance in the lives of children. I would not propose no homework.

      Delete
  2. This is a very interesting post, Bill. I don't remember excessive homework when I was in school either. I do remember a neighborhood girl who was a couple of years older helping me in 3rd grade math because I had skipped a half a grade, but other than that, there were no problems. And I also read a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TracyK: Thanks for the comment. I was interested to hear of your homework experience. Early on I was considered for skipping a grade. I was glad it did not happen. I do not think I could have handled it socially.

      Delete
  3. Very thought-provoking post. I don't think I had homework until later grades in grammar school. I did have to do homework starting at about grade 6, I think, making booklets about ancient Greece. That I recall. But the homework grew in junior high and then more in high school. I think in high school it's fine and in juniorn high, too.
    But I came from a book- and newspaper-reading family with news on TV all the time. So I also went to the library every week and took out armloads of books with my father. And I'd read them until all hours as even then I couldn't put down a good book. And we read good books. And we discussed news at dinner every night.

    I don't like to hear of young children being burdened down with homework. If the education at school is doing what it should be, then the learning should be in school. They should be outside playing or doing other fun things.

    Homework can wait until junior high school age, but children should be reading before that on their own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathy D.: Thanks for the comment. I was glad to get your perspective. I think play and personal reading are important for kids. Creativity and independent learning need to be encouraged.

    ReplyDelete