About Me

My photo
Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada
I am a lawyer in Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada who enjoys reading, especially mysteries. Since 2000 I have been writing personal book reviews. This blog includes my reviews, information on and interviews with authors and descriptions of mystery bookstores I have visited. I strive to review all Saskatchewan mysteries. Other Canadian mysteries are listed under the Rest of Canada. As a lawyer I am always interested in legal mysteries. I have a separate page for legal mysteries. Occasionally my reviews of legal mysteries comment on the legal reality of the mystery. You can follow the progression of my favourite authors with up to 15 reviews. Each year I select my favourites in "Bill's Best of ----". As well as current reviews I am posting reviews from 2000 to 2011. Below my most recent couple of posts are the posts of Saskatchewan mysteries I have reviewed alphabetically by author. If you only want a sentence or two description of the book and my recommendation when deciding whether to read the book look at the bold portion of the review. If you would like to email me the link to my email is on the profile page.

Friday, December 17, 2021

The Quick Adiós (Times Six) by Tom Corcoran

(39. - 1111.) The Quick Adiós (Times Six) by Tom Corcoran - Alex Rutledge has a tremendous knowledge of cameras and is a talented photographer. The Key West Police Department occasionally calls upon him to take crime scene photos. Inevitably he gets caught up in the action.

Key Westers like Alex prize a laidback casual lifestyle. Yet Key West is as vulnerable to violence as the rest of the world. Vicious murders do happen in paradise. 


Alex has developed a reputation for resolving murders. His keen observations of location, design and atmosphere detect anomalies instantly.


While we think of police as trained observers they are amateurs compared to a professional photographer. 


Add a naturally inquisitive personality and Alex is a worthy descendant of the long line of fictional sleuths following Sherlockian principles of observation and deduction.


Called by his girlfriend, Detective Beth Watkins, to the scene of a multiple murder he is rudely dismissed before he can reach the location. Normally candid sources are evasive.


A Florida businessman, Justin Beeson, hires Alex to prepare a photographic portfolio of a building he is trying to sell near Sarasota. It is the type of commercial project that pays the bills for Alex. Yet the work seems somewhat contrived.


In Key West Alex establishes a unique business relationship. A pair of homeless men, Wiley Fecko and Dubbie Tanner resolve to move off the streets. Tanner actually has significant financial resources.


Because Tanner has some personal experience as an investigator they are able register with the State of Florida as private investigators. Their company name is Southernmost Aristocratic Investigations. Alex refers to them as the Aristocrats. Local law enforcement derisively calls them the Bumsnoops.


They prove resourceful and adept. From years of life on the streets of Key West they are also excellent observers. They have connections with the homeless whose lifestyle makes them very aware of everyone around them.


Their computer skills are sufficient to enable them to dig out online information. 


The Aristocrats are the most interesting characters in the book. 


The combined skills of Alex and the Aristocrats find information that has eluded the combined police forces of Key West, Monroe County and Saratoga. The trio are adept at pulling out details.


With one of the victims being a former girlfriend, Alex is reflective. He has had a series of relatively short term relationships. He wants his future to be with Beth. While they are clearly compatible I sense a restlessness within Alex.


The book is at its best in Key West. Even with my experience of the city limited to a cruise ship stop I could see the city in the book. Key Westers are proud of their quirkiness in the book. I value books where the setting is vivid and real. 


2 comments:

  1. Alex and the Aristocats seem like solid and interesting protagonists, Bill. And I like the sort of balance Alex seems to have between being a basically good person with real talent, and also being human (and therefore, not perfect). Those sorts of protagonists are the best kind, in my opinion. Key west is a good place to set this sort of mystery, too, and I do like it when the author paints a vivid picture of a place. Glad you enjoyed this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot: Thanks for the comment. Alex loves Key West and photography. It is no surprise the author lives in Key West and is a photographer.

      Delete