About Me

My photo
Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada
I am a lawyer in Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada who enjoys reading, especially mysteries. Since 2000 I have been writing personal book reviews. This blog includes my reviews, information on and interviews with authors and descriptions of mystery bookstores I have visited. I strive to review all Saskatchewan mysteries. Other Canadian mysteries are listed under the Rest of Canada. As a lawyer I am always interested in legal mysteries. I have a separate page for legal mysteries. Occasionally my reviews of legal mysteries comment on the legal reality of the mystery. You can follow the progression of my favourite authors with up to 15 reviews. Each year I select my favourites in "Bill's Best of ----". As well as current reviews I am posting reviews from 2000 to 2011. Below my most recent couple of posts are the posts of Saskatchewan mysteries I have reviewed alphabetically by author. If you only want a sentence or two description of the book and my recommendation when deciding whether to read the book look at the bold portion of the review. If you would like to email me the link to my email is on the profile page.

Thursday, January 6, 2022

Bill's Best of Non-Fiction and Most Interesting of 2021

My annual double dose of Bill’s Best of the year for the categories of Non-Fiction and Most Interesting. The latter is a list of books that were not favourites of the year in Fiction or Non-Fiction but had qualities that made them intriguing to me. 

NON-FICTION


1.) The Rescue Artist by Edward Dolnick (2005) - It was startling to read how easy it is to steal great works of art. In 1994 The Scream:


Edvard Munch’s most famous work was snatched from the National Gallery in Oslo by a pair of thieves who took a ladder from a construction site, leaned it against the outer wall, climbed up, smashed a window, grabbed the painting off the wall, slid it down the ladder and drove away.

 

Charley Hill and the other members of the Art Squad in London are dedicated to recovering stolen art and sometimes, prosecuting the thieves. Hill, an ex-soldier and ex-academic turned cop would have been a great fictional sleuth. He gained a reputation as a “rescue artist” of stolen art.


A combination biography and investigation I was fascinated from the first to last page.


2.) Vernon Can Read! by Vernon Jordan Jr. with Annette Gordon-Reed (2001) - Vernon Jordan Jr. was an extraordinary man. He grew up in the Deep South during segregation to a family committed to education. His mother had great personal aspirations and determination. After starting her work life as a servant she established a very successfuly catering business in Atlanta. She expected nothing less from her sons. Jordan was a leader in the civil rights movement for Black Americans. Later he transitioned into a different path breaking role. He was one of the earliest Black Americans to reach the boardrooms of corporate America and open those doors. Throughout his life he valued looking professional. His cover photo inspired a second post. He is both eloquent and plain spoken in his writing. His life illustrates how much can be accomplished during a lifetime of public and private service.


3.) Flat Out Delicious by Jenn Sharp (Photography by Richard Marjan) - Saskatchewan has deserved a book that looks seriously at food in our province. Best known for farming on a huge scale, grain farms now average thousands of acres, Saskatchewan is diversifying through individuals dedicated to artisanal food ventures. Sharp profiles 167 of them.


In my post I discussed 3 of the ventures with which Sharon and I are familiar. Hodgson Farms at Melfort has pioneered growing cantaloupes in Saskatchewan. Mabel Hill Restaurant and Marketplace at Nipawin is a fine restaurant with gardens next to the restaurant. Chef Michael Brownlee draws upon the produce of the area and forages in the forest for wild mushrooms. Kitako Honey at Naicam sees Steve Hawrishok moving his bee hives during the year to gain honey made from specific flowers such as clover and dandelions. I am confident in the reliability of Sharp’s stories as the three mentioned above were all described accurately.


MOST INTERESTING


1.) Germania by Harald Gilbers (translated by Alexandra Roesch) - Berlin in the spring of 1944, despite the massive bombings, carries on with life. Its residents adjust and strive to survive. Former police inspector, Richard Oppenheimer, is Jewish. Because of his marriage to a non-Jew, Lisa, he has not been sent to the death camps. He had been dismissed from the police. Hauptsturmführer Vogler is under increasing pressure to solve gruesome murders of women. Learning of Oppenheimer’s skill as an investigator he summons Oppenheimer to assist him. That a Jew and a Nazi could form an investigative team provides remarkable dynamics.


2.) Indians on Vacation by Thomas King - Blackbird Mavrias and Mimi Bull Shield are on vacation in Prague. Mimi, a woman of strong opinions, is seeking information on her Uncle, Leroy Bull Shield, who joined a travelling Wild West about a century ago and disappeared in Europe. Blackbird and Mimi have the minor adventures that make travel fun such as getting lost on their way to the Kafka Museum. I closed my review:


Few books can keep me smiling while reflecting on cultures, historical injustices, personal demons, randomness on vacation and spousal relationships.


3.) Noble House by James Clavell - It had been years since I read an epic work of historical fiction. Clavell was a wonderful writer of grand sagas. In Noble House he explored the tumultuous lives of Ian Struan Dunross, his family, employees, business associates, friends and especially enemies. Dunross, the tai-pan of a great Hong Kong trading company, thrives in the Wild East of 1960’s Hong Kong. Survival of the fittest is fine with him. Tai-pans are not restrained by Boards of Directors. They personally make deals. They appear at the Stock Exchange to buy and sell shares. Relationships are everything. I closed my review saying after 1,200 pages I was ready for 1,200 more.


4.) Albatross by Terry Fallis - I opened my review:


The perfect book for me. Sports, reading, writing,  fountain pens and a hero who does not quite fit in. 


Adam Coryell is a high school senior in Toronto who loves books and writing with his fountain pens. His writing and Phys. Ed. teacher, Ms. Davenport, has become fascinated by a Swedish professor Gunnarsson, who has developed measurements for the ideal body for multiple sports. Adam is almost off the charts with regard to golf.  She puts a golf club in his hands and the results are amazing. And Adam is a nice guy.


2 comments:

  1. These really are interesting books, Bill. I remember wanting to read Vernon Can Read!, just from your description of it. And Rescue Art sounds fascinating, too. I don't know enough about the world of art - certainly not about art security. The book really does sound interesting, and I'm glad that you found solid non-fiction to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot: Thanks for the comment. Later in responding as we spent two long days and nights getting home. I think both books will both interest you and inform you and give you good ideas.

      Delete