About Me

My photo
Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada
I am a lawyer in Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada who enjoys reading, especially mysteries. Since 2000 I have been writing personal book reviews. This blog includes my reviews, information on and interviews with authors and descriptions of mystery bookstores I have visited. I strive to review all Saskatchewan mysteries. Other Canadian mysteries are listed under the Rest of Canada. As a lawyer I am always interested in legal mysteries. I have a separate page for legal mysteries. Occasionally my reviews of legal mysteries comment on the legal reality of the mystery. You can follow the progression of my favourite authors with up to 15 reviews. Each year I select my favourites in "Bill's Best of ----". As well as current reviews I am posting reviews from 2000 to 2011. Below my most recent couple of posts are the posts of Saskatchewan mysteries I have reviewed alphabetically by author. If you only want a sentence or two description of the book and my recommendation when deciding whether to read the book look at the bold portion of the review. If you would like to email me the link to my email is on the profile page.

Saturday, January 29, 2022

The Key Lime Crime by Lucy Burdette

(1. - 1116.) The Key Lime Crime by Lucy Burdette - My last post was a review of An Appetite for Murder, the first in the Hayley Snow series which I purchased at Key West Books. While at the store I asked Paul about a second book in the series and he recommended The Key Lime Crime. It is a few books later in the series rather than the second book. Readers who intend to read the series in sequence should not read this review as they will get information they would probably prefer to acquire through reading the series.

The Key Lime Crime sees Hayley now a veteran food critic for Key Zest magazine and  married to KWPD detective Nathan Bransford. They are living with Miss. Gloria on her houseboat until renovations are completed on their own houseboat.

It is the week between Christmas and New Year’s, the busiest week of the year in Key West with tens of thousands of tourists flooding the island. One of them is Nathan’s mother, Mrs.Bransford, making an unexpected visit to the newlyweds.

The bubbly outgoing Hayley is more than a little intimidated when Mrs.Bransford. arrives. Mrs..Bransford is an austere, tall, slim, perfectly coiffed, well dressed woman indifferent to food. Hayley welcomes Mrs. Bransford by thanking her for “reproducing” Nathan. A couple of days later she asks Hayley to call her Helen. The gesture gives Hayley fleeting relief.

Helen’s visit gets off to a very dramatic start.

At the local library, promoter extraordinaire David Sloan, has a gathering to display entries vying for his Key Lime Key to the City Award. In a city obsessed with key lime pie it is a significant award. 

For a pie with few ingredients the variety of pies is impressive.

Sloan is outraged when Claudette Parker, from the newly opened Au Citron Vert, opens her box to display a key lime pastry. He immediately and loudly disqualifies her as her entry is not a pie. She responds by throwing a pie in his face.

Later that evening on a Conch Train tour of the residential Christmas lights the observant Miss Gloria sees a kitten and Helen notices a drunk Santa Claus figure upon a porch. Each wants to know more. Returning to the house they find the kitten in the bushes and the Santa Claus is actually the body of Claudette. Once again Hayley is caught up in murder.

Nathan sternly directs Helen and Hayley not to investigate. Hayley is willing to listen but Helen, sensing danger for her son, ignores Nathan. Hayley is quite willing to help Helen.

Assigned to write about the pie contest Hayley has a ready cover for asking questions of contestants, librarians and Claudette’s colleagues.

The intrepid trio (Miss Gloria makes it three) are all inquisitive. They eat (Helen barely tastes) a lot of key lime pies.

Anger over the library kerfuffle hardly seems a reason for murder but other motives are in short supply.

As the dynamic trio gather information Hayley and Helen assess each other.

It may be an Inappropriate and in poor taste comment but Burdette makes reading about murder fun. To endure a mystery series needs a memorable sleuth and Hayley is a great character. I know a sleuth resonates when I wish I could visit with them. For Hayley it would be a long chat while sampling key lime pies.

****

Burdette, Lucy - (2022) - An Appetite for Murder

4 comments:

  1. The pies do sound delicious, Bill. And the story sounds interesting, too, as does Hayley. Your post reminds me how important the main character of the story is. If one doesn't like the main character (or at least, find that person interesting), it's very hard to enjoy a story. The setting sounds right for the story, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot: Thanks for the comment. Anti-heroes are rarely attractive sleuths. Hayley is well suited to becoming a Key Wester.

      Delete
  2. Bill, how did you get this interest in Key West? I think it would be a fun place to read about.

    I heeded your advice and did not read past the first paragraph, and I will go back to your review of the first book to see if I am interested in the series. I haven't read much cozy crime but I want to try some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TracyK: I was in Key West on Dec. 2 while on a long cruise. I picked up 3 books set in Key West. I have now posted reviews on all of the books I bought. I hope to make my next post about Hemingway House in Key West.

      Delete