About Me

My photo
Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada
I am a lawyer in Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada who enjoys reading, especially mysteries. Since 2000 I have been writing personal book reviews. This blog includes my reviews, information on and interviews with authors and descriptions of mystery bookstores I have visited. I strive to review all Saskatchewan mysteries. Other Canadian mysteries are listed under the Rest of Canada. As a lawyer I am always interested in legal mysteries. I have a separate page for legal mysteries. Occasionally my reviews of legal mysteries comment on the legal reality of the mystery. You can follow the progression of my favourite authors with up to 15 reviews. Each year I select my favourites in "Bill's Best of ----". As well as current reviews I am posting reviews from 2000 to 2011. Below my most recent couple of posts are the posts of Saskatchewan mysteries I have reviewed alphabetically by author. If you only want a sentence or two description of the book and my recommendation when deciding whether to read the book look at the bold portion of the review. If you would like to email me the link to my email is on the profile page.

Saturday, April 1, 2023

Why the Rock Falls by J.E. Barnard

(10. - 1149.) Why the Rock Falls by J.E. Barnard - Former RCMP officer, Lacey McCrae, has an Alberta job. Traveling by helicopter she drops in at oil well sites in the foothills of the Rockies checking for sabotage.

The community of Bragg Creek (a real life town) is to be the setting for a Hollywood movie. The director, Mylo Matheson, is married to Kitzu, the nickname for Kitrin Devine who has foregone her prosaic birth name, Katrina Davenport. She grew up in Saskatchewan. Kitzu was a university roommate of Lacey’s friends, Jan and Dee. They described Kitrin as “clingy” and “heroin-chic”. Kitrin, shortly after meeting Matheson, in quick order, becomes pregnant and replaces his 3rd wife. While male sexism dominates the book, the women disdain Kitrin in a way they would not tolerate in a man. Mylo is known as her Lord High Husband.

That evening the ladies dine with Orrin Caine, “an old white racist jerk” who parlayed family money into oil wealth. He is one of the Alberta kings of the oil patch.

Lacey’s responsibilities increase when she is named security team supervisor for her neighbour, Jake Wyman.

On Lacey’s second day as supervisor, the pace of the book accelerates after Kitrin is found dead in the pool. The RCMP soon establish that she was struck with a rock and drowned.

When Orrin disappears with his son, Tyrone, in the wild foothills a Search and Rescue (SAR) operation is undertaken. Unlike most American crime fiction the family is not allowed to join in the search as they lack training in SAR. While adding to the authenticity his family is left stuck at home. They are uncomfortable and uneasy with each other.

Lacey spends a lot of time either repairing and adjusting security cameras which are abundant at Jake’s place and abound at Caine’s massive ranch home. Their pervasive presence at the Caine estate is unsettling to Lacey. Staff and family are less uncomfortable as they know exactly what the cameras can see.

The book is all about relationships. Orrin is onto his 3rd wife. He has 4 sons.. He is resented, even despised by his exes, his current wife and his adult sons. It is unclear if the youngest son, Ty, who is 12 has resentments. It is little surprise there is ill will between the older brothers.

Orrin (who has disappeared) and Mylo (busy with his movie) have small direct roles in the plot. While both are highly misogynist, neither appears to be a murderous villain. They are constantly mentioned in the book but are present on few pages, I would have appreciated them having a greater presence.

I also wish Jayne had included more about the search. There is inherent tension in looking for a father and son in wild country. The urgency of the search was muted by the modest role of the main characters. Near the end, as lead characters became part of the search, the pace quickened.

Rock climbing is important in a way I had not anticipated.

As with her first book, When the Flood Falls, this book is concentrated on women. It is the men who play supporting roles.

Lacey is a solid sleuth befitting her decade long police career.

The resolution saw Lacey at her best, especially physically. I was glad Jayne did not adopt an American approach of a trail of bodies in the conclusion. The ending did require considerable suspension of disbelief as Lacey closed in.

The book is well written.  Jayne’s writing career has gained momnetum since she was the 2016 winner of the Unhanged Arthur Award for best unpublished crime fiction. She has mastered the art of smoothly drawing the reader through the book. (Mar. 31/23)

****

Barnard, J.E. - (2018) - When the Flood Falls and Q & A with Jayne Barnard

5 comments:

  1. The setting for this one interests me, Bill, and so does Lacey's job. That's a job I hadn't known about before. It's interesting, too, how the book blends the exploration of relationships with the tenseness of the SAR mission. I don't know a lot about those missions, so I can see how you would have wanted to know more. I'm glad you found a lot to like about this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot: Thanks for the comment. Setting and characters do lead the way in the book. Jayne is an accomplished writer.

      Delete
  2. Jayne is a fine writer. I enjoyed reading your thoughts on this one and I’m always a fan of prairie settings and a Saskatchewan connection of any kind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Didn’t mean to be anonymous- this Anthony B signing in from away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anthony: Thanks for the comment. I equally note every Saskatchewan connection in a book. Hope you are enjoying your time away.

      Delete