About Me

My photo
Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada
I am a lawyer in Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada who enjoys reading, especially mysteries. Since 2000 I have been writing personal book reviews. This blog includes my reviews, information on and interviews with authors and descriptions of mystery bookstores I have visited. I strive to review all Saskatchewan mysteries. Other Canadian mysteries are listed under the Rest of Canada. As a lawyer I am always interested in legal mysteries. I have a separate page for legal mysteries. Occasionally my reviews of legal mysteries comment on the legal reality of the mystery. You can follow the progression of my favourite authors with up to 15 reviews. Each year I select my favourites in "Bill's Best of ----". As well as current reviews I am posting reviews from 2000 to 2011. Below my most recent couple of posts are the posts of Saskatchewan mysteries I have reviewed alphabetically by author. If you only want a sentence or two description of the book and my recommendation when deciding whether to read the book look at the bold portion of the review. If you would like to email me the link to my email is on the profile page.

Friday, May 19, 2023

The Thursday Murder Club by Richard Osman

(18. - 1157.) The Thursday Murder Club by Richard Osman - Clubs are fun. I am a member of the Melfort Rotary Club. I was a member of the Melfort Judo Club. I played baseball with the Melfort Old Brewers ball club. I have never contemplated a murder club.

Studying unsolved murders with friends on Thursdays with biscuits and wine sounds very appealing.

Convivial friends are important for a club. The members of The Thursday Murder Club are interesting. Elizabeth’s background is not clear but she is familiar with “murders and investigations and what have you”. Ibrahim was a psychiatrist. Ron was a trade union leader and is an unwavering skeptic in that “he never believes a single word anyone ever tells him”. Joyce, a committed diarist, was “a nurse for many years” and is talented at being overlooked.

I am interested in joining the club. At 71 I would be a little young. Still I hope they would make an accommodation for me.

A roadlbock is that they are all residents of Coopers Chase, a “Luxury Retirement Village” meeting in the Jigsaw Room. I have yet to retire and enjoy living in my home with Sharon. Perhaps my experience as a lawyer whose practice includes criminal defence would sway the members to let me join them.

Even a decade ago an insurmountable obstacle would be my residence in rural Saskatchewan when the club meets in rural England. Zoom meetings solve that issue. While I prefer in person meetings I have become comfortable on Zoom. I could have Pepsi, which I prefer to wine, and biscuits while sitting in my comfortable armchair in Saskatchewan. They need not know I dislike tea.

Gory autopsy photos are not my favourite viewing but I would not press the Leave button.

I am well used to the language of police notes and records that occupy much of the Club’s time. I understand the necessity of analyzing them for what was left out or unnoticed.

When a minority shareholder in Coopers Chase who also built the Village and is a former thug is murdered I could have assisted with insights into the legal documents that established relationships, financial benefits and motive for murder. The Club would not have needed the help of Joyce’s daughter, Joanna, and Cornelius, an analyst working for Joanna.

Being old sharpens the cunning instinct. I admired how the Club members invite PC Donna De Freitas to be a source and cleverly entice the Murder Team to include her in their unit because the old folks trust her and will talk to her.

Elizabeth is skilled at talking to police officers. I think my decades of experience in talking with officers would be useful.

When the police challenge the Club members with regard to finding bones and having them privately analyzed before revealing them to the police I could have added weight to Elizabeth’s firm, even caustic comments, that no one will be jailed or even fined.

Every club needs a leader. Elizabeth is a great leader. Fearless, clever and manipulative she commands the group. She has a strong, yet not overbearing personality. I have been both leader and follower in clubs and can see myself readily following the indomitable Elizabeth in pursuit of murder. 

Only true afficiandoes of murder, such as the club members, could say witnessing a murder was wonderful. I could not say such an experience would be wonderful but I would find it fascinating. 

I appreciate logic and was pleased by their precision in deleting from a crowd of seniors who are murder suspects, those who are using walkers or mobility scooters or have cataracts because quick movement was made by the killer.

The club members are relentless. Each is resolute in solving murders. I enjoy the challenge of trying to solve murders in crime fiction. My determination is reflected by having over 1,000 murder experiences through reading mysteries.

I was a little disappointed by what happened at the ending of the Thursday Murder Club. The consequences were tidy but did not feel right.

I really enjoyed the club members. They are witty, kind and bright. Each is an engaged senior using the talents acquired during their lives. They are a dynamic quartet. I hope they call. I would relish being a member of the Thursday Murder Club.

4 comments:

  1. I think you would make a most valuable addition to the club, Bill. You've got useful experience, plenty of interest, and you're used to being in club and group situations. I see no reason the club wouldn't jump at the chance to have you as a member. Perhaps there were things in the story that didn't quite meet your expectations, but overall, I like this group, too, and I think you've presented a compelling case for including you. Honestly, your courtroom experience serves you well here. I hope they call, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot: Thanks for the kind words. I think the club could also benefit from the talents of a university professor who is also skilled at writing crime fiction. If they call can I mention your name?

      Delete
    2. That would be most kind of you, Bill - thanks! I'd appreciate it.

      Delete
    3. It would be a grand adventure.

      Delete