About Me

My photo
Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada
I am a lawyer in Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada who enjoys reading, especially mysteries. Since 2000 I have been writing personal book reviews. This blog includes my reviews, information on and interviews with authors and descriptions of mystery bookstores I have visited. I strive to review all Saskatchewan mysteries. Other Canadian mysteries are listed under the Rest of Canada. As a lawyer I am always interested in legal mysteries. I have a separate page for legal mysteries. Occasionally my reviews of legal mysteries comment on the legal reality of the mystery. You can follow the progression of my favourite authors with up to 15 reviews. Each year I select my favourites in "Bill's Best of ----". As well as current reviews I am posting reviews from 2000 to 2011. Below my most recent couple of posts are the posts of Saskatchewan mysteries I have reviewed alphabetically by author. If you only want a sentence or two description of the book and my recommendation when deciding whether to read the book look at the bold portion of the review. If you would like to email me the link to my email is on the profile page.

Wednesday, May 3, 2023

Thirty-Three Teeth by Colin Cotterill

Because of various commitments I do not have a current review ready. Below is a review from 2008 of the second book in a fine series featuring a remarkable sleuth, Dr. Siri, who investigates deaths in Laos. I enjoyed both books I read in the series but have not returned. Maybe this year. 

****

3. - 413.) Thirty-Three Teeth by Colin Cotterill – Dr. Siri is called on to autopsy a pair of men found dead in front of a government building. He cleverly deduces a government official ran off a building and landed on the other man. As he investigates it is clear the spirit world has affected the official. Siri is sent to the ancient royal capital of Luang Prabang to autopsy a pair of helicopter pilots. While there he is further drawn into the spirit world and its shamans. He learns more about his origins. Back in Vietiane his assistant, Dtui, is attempting to figure out a series of deaths that appear to have been caused by the claws and teeth of a large wild animal. Siri has determined he is the embodiment of a famous shaman, Yeh Ming, from over 1,000 years ago. Spirits affect every part of life in Laos. The story flows beautifully. Laotian spirits continue to be an exception to my normal lack of interest in spirits directly affecting this world. Paperback by choice. (Jan. 13/08)


5 comments:

  1. Thank you for the reminder of this one, Bill. I like the Dr. Siri series a lot, both for its physical and cultural settings, and for the plots. I thought this was a fine entry, and you've reminded me I should get back to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot: Thanks for the comment. I try not to use the word unique often but I believe it applies to Dr. Siri.

      Delete
  2. I have only read this book and the two preceding it in this series. I do have several more on my shelves and I hope to get to one soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear me, I have only read the one book preceding this one. Disco for the Departed is the next I will read

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TracyK: Thanks for the comments. I will look forward to a review of Disco for the Departed. As set out I am a "maybe" for reading more of the series this year.

      Delete