About Me

My photo
Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada
I am a lawyer in Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada who enjoys reading, especially mysteries. Since 2000 I have been writing personal book reviews. This blog includes my reviews, information on and interviews with authors and descriptions of mystery bookstores I have visited. I strive to review all Saskatchewan mysteries. Other Canadian mysteries are listed under the Rest of Canada. As a lawyer I am always interested in legal mysteries. I have a separate page for legal mysteries. Occasionally my reviews of legal mysteries comment on the legal reality of the mystery. You can follow the progression of my favourite authors with up to 15 reviews. Each year I select my favourites in "Bill's Best of ----". As well as current reviews I am posting reviews from 2000 to 2011. Below my most recent couple of posts are the posts of Saskatchewan mysteries I have reviewed alphabetically by author. If you only want a sentence or two description of the book and my recommendation when deciding whether to read the book look at the bold portion of the review. If you would like to email me the link to my email is on the profile page.

Saturday, November 4, 2023

The Dark Vineyard by Martin Walker

(36. - 1175.) - The Dark Vineyard by Martin Walker (2010) - Bruno Courrèges, Chief of Police in St. Denis puts aside his fear of fire to rescue the local fire chief after an explosion at a fire which destroyed a field of grain and a large unauthorized shed in the hills near the town. And there is an unknown standpipe at the scene. Bruno is startled. How could this development have occurred without his knowledge?

It turns out that it was a secret Ministry of Agriculture project testing new GMO grains.

There is immediate pressure from Paris to solve the crime. No one in the capital wants attention drawn to the project.

Suspicion falls on ecolos, enviornmental activists opposed to GMO’s. Yet there are no loud local strident activists threatening direct action.

At the same time the heir, Fernando Bondino, to one of the world`s wine industry giants arrives in St. Denis to propose a major project that would transform the region. Bondino equally wants the crime solved.

The Mayor emphasizes the importance of the project saying competition from supermarkets is gradually destroying villages. Surrounding communities dependent on tourism are `` `dead from September to June every year … No families, no schools, no jobs, no shops, and most of the houses empty until the tourists come back to rent them. ` ``

Another newcomer is the lovely young Jacqueline Duplessis from a Canadian wine making family. She draws ardent admirers as she assesses every man she meets.

Bruno acutely feels the modern world pressing upon his comfortable life in St. Denis. As with many he would prefer life be updated rather than changed. 

Bruno enjoys bringing his own container to fill with wine, for a Euro or less a litre, at a local cave. On visits in the countryside he gladly stops for family produced glasses of wine. There is commercial but not industrial production of wine around St. Denis. I longed to join him.

He prefers the modest Saturday new market, started in 1807, to the larger Tuesday market, held continuously since 1347. The new market has a dozen stalls of locals selling their cheeses, yoghurts, meats, fish, eggs, fruit, vegetables and wine.

As it is early fall grapes are being picked. Some are processed in the traditional way by having villagers tread upon the grapes.

Nearing 40 Bruno is melancholic as his love, Isabelle, has moved to Paris. Even a passionate lover could not bring him to leave his beloved St. Denis. An unexpected return visit by Isabelle leaves him in turmoil.

Further vandalism and the combined deaths of an elderly resident and his newly adopted son create mean intense investigations for Bruno.

Amidst the police work Bruno invites friends for a supper featuring a truffle omelet and then becasses (woodcocks). They are consumed with fine wines from France and New Zealand. The meal made me long to visit Le Bugue, the inspiration for the fictional Saint-Denis.

The resolution of the mystery is convincing. At the same time Bruno’s personal life is perking up. I am eager to go looking for the next in the series.

****

Walker, Martin - (2019) - Bruno, Chief of Police and The Magic of St. Denis and Three Pines

2 comments:

  1. I really like this series, Bill, so it's a pleasure to read your take on this one. Walker evokes the setting (not to mention the food and wine) very well, I think, and Bruno's character is appealing. Walker also, in my opinion, does a solid job of addressing larger issues without losing sight of the plot and characters. I like your comment about updating versus change, too. There is a difference, and I agree that Bruno prefers the former.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot: Thanks for the comment. No one does setting better than Walker. Big issues are tackled with a finesse not common in crime fiction. Walker respects his characters and the setting.

      Delete