About Me

My photo
Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada
I am a lawyer in Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada who enjoys reading, especially mysteries. Since 2000 I have been writing personal book reviews. This blog includes my reviews, information on and interviews with authors and descriptions of mystery bookstores I have visited. I strive to review all Saskatchewan mysteries. Other Canadian mysteries are listed under the Rest of Canada. As a lawyer I am always interested in legal mysteries. I have a separate page for legal mysteries. Occasionally my reviews of legal mysteries comment on the legal reality of the mystery. You can follow the progression of my favourite authors with up to 15 reviews. Each year I select my favourites in "Bill's Best of ----". As well as current reviews I am posting reviews from 2000 to 2011. Below my most recent couple of posts are the posts of Saskatchewan mysteries I have reviewed alphabetically by author. If you only want a sentence or two description of the book and my recommendation when deciding whether to read the book look at the bold portion of the review. If you would like to email me the link to my email is on the profile page.

Wednesday, December 6, 2023

A Voice in the Night by Andrea Camilleri

A Voice in the Night by Andrea Camilleri (translated by Stephen Sartarelli) (2012) -  Inspector Montalbano is having a befuddled morning. He is disoriented when he awakes, cuts his foot walking on the beach, thinks someone is watching him through a window, is startled by an octopus he just bought staring at him, knocks over his coffee pot burning himself, runs screaming through his front door and cannot remember it is his 58th birthday until his love of 25 years, Livia, reminds him. Upon regaining his wits he feels “elderly”.

Montalbano is called to a supermarket from which 16,728 euros has been stolen, the previous day’s sales. The police are skeptical since there was no forced entry and the money had been kept in a desk which was easily forced. The inspector leaves the manager, Guido Borsellino, to explain to the owners what has happened.

That evening the inspector is called back to the supermarket for Borsellino has been found hanging in his office. The apparent suicide was clumsily done but the pathologist is reticent about calling the death murder.

Subsequently, a young man, Giovanni Strangio, who is the son of the provincial president, advises Montalbano that his girlfriend is dead in their apartment. Having already had a run in with the young man, Montalbano, is unusually careful about the investigation.

Both murders have more than a whiff of Mafia connections.

Every day Montalbano feels his age. His digestion is unsettled over the large meals, focused on seafood and pasta, that he loves to consume. He blows up when a lawyer suggests they are men of a “certain age”.

Now that I am 71 his preoccupation with being 58 makes me smile. There are many good years after 58.

The resolution involved clever deductions and actions. While Montalbano has a modest regard for rules he does live in Sicily where many disregard the law.

Montalbano’s challenges with electronic devices are staggering. The 21st Century is not a comfortable place for him.

The book moves smoothly. While a good book I thought The Shape of Water a better book. 

****

Camilleri, Andea - (2012) - The Shape of Water (1994)

2 comments:

  1. I've always liked this series, Bill. I like Montalbano's almost philosophical way of thinking, and there's the right amount of wit to keep the story leavened without taking away from the seriousness of some of the crimes. Especially impressive was how long the series lasted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot: Thanks for the comment. I appreciate wit as well. I could not see reading the whole series so I jumped forward from the first in the series.

      Delete