About Me

My photo
Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada
I am a lawyer in Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada who enjoys reading, especially mysteries. Since 2000 I have been writing personal book reviews. This blog includes my reviews, information on and interviews with authors and descriptions of mystery bookstores I have visited. I strive to review all Saskatchewan mysteries. Other Canadian mysteries are listed under the Rest of Canada. As a lawyer I am always interested in legal mysteries. I have a separate page for legal mysteries. Occasionally my reviews of legal mysteries comment on the legal reality of the mystery. You can follow the progression of my favourite authors with up to 15 reviews. Each year I select my favourites in "Bill's Best of ----". As well as current reviews I am posting reviews from 2000 to 2011. Below my most recent couple of posts are the posts of Saskatchewan mysteries I have reviewed alphabetically by author. If you only want a sentence or two description of the book and my recommendation when deciding whether to read the book look at the bold portion of the review. If you would like to email me the link to my email is on the profile page.

Saturday, January 27, 2024

The Plantin Polyglot Bible in Fiction


In
The Department of Rare Books and Special Collections by Eva Jurczyk the mystery is about the disappearance of The Plantin Polyglot Bible which has been purchased for $500,000 by Department Director, Christopher Wolfe.

There are 6 volumes to the Bible and they are not in the safe at the Department. Jurczyk creates a wonderful book around the missing volumes of the Bible.

I had certainly heard of the Gutenberg Bible, the book that heralded the age of print in the Western world, but I had not known of the Plantin Polyglot Bible. A quick Google search revealed the stunning Bible.

It is Polyglot as it is written in multiple languages - Hebrew, Chaldean (Aramaic), Greek, Latin and Syriac. Printed between 1568-1572 in Antwerp the Bible is a magnificent work of book making. Plantin’s goal was, as stated in Christie’s who were selling a vellum copy in 2018, to “produce the finest Bible in all Christendom”.

There were 1,200 copies printed on paper and 12 copies on vellum. The vellum copies were for King Philip II of Spain. The skins of 8,000 sheep were needed to print the vellum copies.

Christie’s says:

Plantin devoted 5 years, up to 4 presses and 40 workment to print the Bible. He had been acquiring types from the best type-cutters and designers of the day - Guillaume Le Be and Cornelis van Bomberghen for Hebrew and Brobert Granjon for Greek and Syriac … 

Between financial issues and strife in the Netherlands the last two volumes, the Apparatus Sacra, were only printed on paper.

The vellum copies, because of weight, were bound into 11 volumes instead of 6 volumes.

In the book it is the paper version which has been bought by the library.

It was not until I saw the photos from Christie’s, which in 2018 auctioned the only vellum copy in the world in private hands, that I appreciated the majesty of the Bible as described in Jurczyk’s book.

It would be an amazing experience to hold and look at a volume.

Christie’s sold the vellum Plantin Polyglot Bible for 488,750 pounds (Canadian $836,101)!

****

My review is at The Department of Rare Books and Special Collections.

Here is a link to a wonderful video from Christie’s auction information.

Eva had an interesting conversation with John Shoesmith, the Outreach Librarian at the Thomas Fisher Rare Book Library at the University of Toronto about her book and her work at the year. The Fisher Library is the inspiration for the library in her book. Here is a link - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mkaGbdAfa0&t=246s

2 comments:

  1. What a book that must be, Bill! It sounds absolutely fascinating, and just thinking about it appeals to the linguist in me. It would be so interesting to see how the different languages express the messages, and how similar those messages are after they've been written in different languages. It must have taken so much time to put that together. I respect the artistry and craft that must have gone into that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot: Thanks for the comment. Examining some photos of the pages is fascinating. Leading Biblical scholars of the time worked upon the texts.

      Delete