About Me

My photo
Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada
I am a lawyer in Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada who enjoys reading, especially mysteries. Since 2000 I have been writing personal book reviews. This blog includes my reviews, information on and interviews with authors and descriptions of mystery bookstores I have visited. I strive to review all Saskatchewan mysteries. Other Canadian mysteries are listed under the Rest of Canada. As a lawyer I am always interested in legal mysteries. I have a separate page for legal mysteries. Occasionally my reviews of legal mysteries comment on the legal reality of the mystery. You can follow the progression of my favourite authors with up to 15 reviews. Each year I select my favourites in "Bill's Best of ----". As well as current reviews I am posting reviews from 2000 to 2011. Below my most recent couple of posts are the posts of Saskatchewan mysteries I have reviewed alphabetically by author. If you only want a sentence or two description of the book and my recommendation when deciding whether to read the book look at the bold portion of the review. If you would like to email me the link to my email is on the profile page.

Monday, January 31, 2011

Tin City by David Housewright

7. – 566.) Tin City by David Housewright – The opening pages talking about small scale commercial beekeeping took me back 40 years to the farm at Meskanaw helping my Dad with the bees. Housewright accurately describes the helmet, veil and smoker used by a beekeeper. Rushmore McKenzie is visiting his father’s friend, Mr. Mosley a beekeeper in a Minneapolis suburb, when he is asked to find out why bees are dying. The violent consequences to McKenzie’s humble search are breathtaking.
            With Mr. Mosley dead and a lawyer’s wife raped McKenzie seeks revenge. The former St. Paul policeman has unique financial security. He gained a $3 million dollar reward for tracking down an embezzler.
            The mystery is a police procedural without a police force. McKenzie systematically pursues leads with the aid of useful members of quasi-respectable / quasi- criminal society.
            He is a unique detective having a 1,000 book collection and loving libraries. I am impressed by any detective who appreciates libraries.
            Having visited Minneapolis several times over the years I appreciate Housewright firmly setting his hero and his mystery in the Metro area. McKenzie is not a detective in a generic American city.
            The investigation has numerous twists that are always credible. McKenzie is a charming easy going mystery solver with a ready wit and a readier gun. I am looking forward to reading more of his adventures. (Feb. 1/11)

No comments:

Post a Comment