About Me

My photo
Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada
I am a lawyer in Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada who enjoys reading, especially mysteries. Since 2000 I have been writing personal book reviews. This blog includes my reviews, information on and interviews with authors and descriptions of mystery bookstores I have visited. I strive to review all Saskatchewan mysteries. Other Canadian mysteries are listed under the Rest of Canada. As a lawyer I am always interested in legal mysteries. I have a separate page for legal mysteries. Occasionally my reviews of legal mysteries comment on the legal reality of the mystery. You can follow the progression of my favourite authors with up to 15 reviews. Each year I select my favourites in "Bill's Best of ----". As well as current reviews I am posting reviews from 2000 to 2011. Below my most recent couple of posts are the posts of Saskatchewan mysteries I have reviewed alphabetically by author. If you only want a sentence or two description of the book and my recommendation when deciding whether to read the book look at the bold portion of the review. If you would like to email me the link to my email is on the profile page.

Saturday, September 13, 2014

Books While Cruising in the Mediterranean


Sharon and I are back cruising with Oceania Cruise Lines. We are on back to back cruises on Riviera. The first cruise travels 14 days from Barcelona to Istanbul.

Earlier in the week we were in Malta. To my surprise we visited a winery and came back to the ship with two bottles of wine which cost us a total of E18.00. 

For the balance of this cruise we are moving between Greek islands and mainland Turkey. Tomorrow will be Alanya in Turkey. 

As usual, when I am on Oceania I went to the shipboard library on the first day of the cruise. As shown on the photo (which is the same photo I used on an earlier post on a cruise with sister ship, Marina) of the library it is an inviting place for a booklover.
 
I picked out 3 books from the library:

            1.) Crooked Letter Crooked Letter by Tom Franklin;

            2.) An Officer and a Spy by Robert Harris; and,

            3.) The Blackhouse by Peter May.

It was hard to limit myself to 3 books.

Unfortunately (if it is unfortunate not to be reading because we are busy with cruise ship activities and shore excursions) I am still reading Crooked Letter Crooked Letter.

Regular blog reader Kathy D. highly recommended the book. Many other bloggers have written positive reviews of the book. I am enjoying the book.

During the cruise day I play team trivia once or twice a day.

My mystery blogger credentials were left suspect when I could not come up with the second most translated English author (Shakespeare is most translated). I thought it might Arthur Conan Doyle. The team consensus was Charles Dickens. The correct answer was Agatha Christie.

This evening we are gliding through the Mediterranean.

14 comments:

  1. Bill - I am so glad you're having such a lovely time!! And it's good to hear you're enjoying CLCL. It's a very powerful novel in my opinion. Looking forward to more nautical news!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot: Thanks for the comment. Just got ashore from some sightseeing and walking about in Alanya. It is a beautiful city. I was fascinated by the 800 year old covered (huge stone blocks) shipyard.

      Delete
  2. Bill, a cruise and a library — the perfect ingredients for a great holiday. I'm glad you and Sharon are having a lovely time. I believe the Mediterranean is emerald green.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prashant: Thanks for the comment. In this part of the Mediterranean the water is a lovely blue. I am headed up to the library shortly.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like lots of fun and many adventures ahead of you. I will be honest and say I am afraid of ships (being on the water), but the idea of a cruise sounds nice. And a library with such great books. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TracyK: I find cruises a grand escape and think you would enjoy them greatly. With the ship 250 yards long and 11 storeys above the water you have no reason to be afraid. It is a very inviting library.

      Delete
  4. Bill, I haven't read An Officer and a Spy but have exceelent references of it. I very much enjoyed the other two, you're in for a treat. Enjoy the rest of your Med tour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jose Ignacio: Thanks for the comment. An Officer an a Spy will be next book. It is our first time in Mediterranean. I am sure we will be back.

      Delete
  5. That one I would have gotten right. I do know that Christie is the most translated crime fiction writer worldwide.

    Sounds like a wonderful time on the Mediterranean with food, wine, activities -- and mysteries. What could be better? You've got good books there.

    I must say I cried through parts of CLCL as I thought the author really understood his characters' emotional lives and explained them well. Well, that book is about the human condition and friendships, lost and found. Poignant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy D.: It is hard to beat a cruise with Oceania. I had not realized Crooked Letter Crooked Letter had earned its own acronym. I hope to finish it soon.

      Delete
  6. Sounds great Bill, the perfect relaxation. I read and very much enjoyed the Robert Harris book, hope you do too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moira: It has been some time since I read a Harris book. I am also looking forward to An Officer and a Spy.

      Delete
  7. I want to read your review of the Harris book. I may read it, but find it dismaying to
    read about the horrible anti-Semitism in France at the time of Dreyfus' trial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy D.: It may be awhile. I am finding myself busy on the cruise and not reading as much as I expected.

      Delete