About Me

My photo
Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada
I am a lawyer in Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada who enjoys reading, especially mysteries. Since 2000 I have been writing personal book reviews. This blog includes my reviews, information on and interviews with authors and descriptions of mystery bookstores I have visited. I strive to review all Saskatchewan mysteries. Other Canadian mysteries are listed under the Rest of Canada. As a lawyer I am always interested in legal mysteries. I have a separate page for legal mysteries. Occasionally my reviews of legal mysteries comment on the legal reality of the mystery. You can follow the progression of my favourite authors with up to 15 reviews. Each year I select my favourites in "Bill's Best of ----". As well as current reviews I am posting reviews from 2000 to 2011. Below my most recent couple of posts are the posts of Saskatchewan mysteries I have reviewed alphabetically by author. If you only want a sentence or two description of the book and my recommendation when deciding whether to read the book look at the bold portion of the review. If you would like to email me the link to my email is on the profile page.

Sunday, July 4, 2021

The Settings of Hurry Home by Roz Nay

As I was reading Hurry Home by Roz Nay I was thinking about the settings of the book. When I was finished I wrote a message to her. She kindly replied. Our exchange of messages follows.

****

Roz


I recently read Hurry Home and reviewed it on my blog. A link to the review is at the end of this letter.


I enjoyed the book.


At the end you indicated you wrote most of the book at Empire Coffee in Nelson, British Columbia.


The book is set in the fictional city of Moses Springs, Colorado. While I have been there but once the city reminded me of Colorado Springs. 


The Van Ness sisters grew up in Horizon, North Dakota.


Ruth most recently had run-ins with the law in Pittsburgh.


As far as I could tell none of the settings were particularly unique to the United States. The primary setting could have been Nelson, The sisters could have grown up in Saskatchewan. Ruth might have fled from Toronto.


Though it has been some years since I represented the Department of Social Services or parents in Saskatchewan, Alex’s experiences as a child protection social worker were the same as I have seen in child protection proceedings in Saskatchewan.


I wondered whether you were “encouraged” to place the book in the United States instead of Canada.


A few years ago Saskatchewan author, Anthony Bidulka, advised me that he had been “encouraged” to set books in the United States rather than Canada.


If you are able to respond and are willing I would publish this letter and your response upon my blog.


All the best.


Bill Selnes


****


Hi! It's so interesting because I always meant Nelson and Saskatchewan.


I don't think I knew where Ruth ran off to.


I chose to transcribe them to the states myself. I wasn't coerced.


Thanks for reading and being so astute tho.

****

https://mysteriesandmore.blogspot.com/2021/06/hurry-home-by-roz-nay.html


4 comments:

  1. Thanks, Bill, for sharing this email exchange. Your questions to authors are always interesting, and I like to know what goes on 'behind the scenes' when authors write. I'm glad to know there was no coercion to set the novel in the US. Authors ought to set their work where they wish, as that's where the usually envision a story playing out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot: Thanks for the comment. I was equally glad Roz set the book where she wanted.

      Delete
  2. Sounds good to me. And it reminds me that family friends moved to Nelson, B.C. decades ago. I keep meaning to find them, but the names are common in the area, and it was too hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy: Thanks for the comment. I think you would enjoy it. Sleuthing those of our past can be a challenge.

      Delete