About Me

My photo
Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada
I am a lawyer in Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada who enjoys reading, especially mysteries. Since 2000 I have been writing personal book reviews. This blog includes my reviews, information on and interviews with authors and descriptions of mystery bookstores I have visited. I strive to review all Saskatchewan mysteries. Other Canadian mysteries are listed under the Rest of Canada. As a lawyer I am always interested in legal mysteries. I have a separate page for legal mysteries. Occasionally my reviews of legal mysteries comment on the legal reality of the mystery. You can follow the progression of my favourite authors with up to 15 reviews. Each year I select my favourites in "Bill's Best of ----". As well as current reviews I am posting reviews from 2000 to 2011. Below my most recent couple of posts are the posts of Saskatchewan mysteries I have reviewed alphabetically by author. If you only want a sentence or two description of the book and my recommendation when deciding whether to read the book look at the bold portion of the review. If you would like to email me the link to my email is on the profile page.

Monday, January 16, 2023

Sleuth of Baker Street is Closing

Dear Marian and J.D.

Thank you (the collective you) for almost 40 years of book memories. Sleuth of Baker Street “is”, too soon to be “was”, my favourite bookstore in the world.

I started coming to Sleuth shortly after you became the owners. I always enjoyed buying books from the two of you.

I thought it fitting your store was in Leaside because Saskatchewan’s most famous author had lived in the neighbourhood in the late 1940’s. W.O. Mitchell, while he was fiction editor of Maclean’s, resided in one of the fine brick homes amidst the grand trees.

Happy expectations would start on the journey to the store. I am not going to claim I thought a lot about the store on the flights from Saskatchewan to Toronto but I would be scheduling time to visit the store. Once in Toronto there would be time to anticipate the visit whether riding the subway up Yonge to Davisville and the bus over to Bayview or driving in from Mississauga if I was at the home of an aunt.

The second store on Bayview was magical to me with the fine bookcases, the hidden door, the inviting fireplace, the Sherlockian memorabilia, the cats and thousands of mysteries.

You were the first mystery bookstore I visited. The wonder of walking into a store full of mysteries reminded me of my first experience of a library. I was 7 years old attending a one room school, Galabank, a couple of miles from our farm in Saskatchewan. My two Grade 2 classmates and I had exhausted the small book collection in the school by November. Later that winter, 62 years ago, our teacher, Mr. Streeton, took a group of us in the back of his grain truck to the village of Ethelton where a regional library had opened. It was the first time I had ever seen a room filled with books. I was in awe. I was overjoyed when I found I could take home 6 books every two weeks. 

My sons equally loved the store. My older son, Jonathan, has never forgotten the winter day when he was so absorbed in a book while sitting before the fireplaee that he did not notice his running shoes had started smoking.

You were great booksellers. When I walked into the store I knew I would get a friendly greeting.

I would browse the store. I focused on the new books as you had the best selection of new crime fiction.

Invariably I would have some questions about one or more of the books. I would wait until one or both of you were free and get your thoughts. I knew I would receive candid opinions.

I thought your expression of pride J.D., recounted several times in Merchant of Menace, of putting good books in the hands of customers was perfect.

Our family enjoyed your section of Bayview. Sharon loved the antique shops. The restaurants were fun. The boys were delighted at McSorley’s Saloon that they could toss peanut shells on the floor.

I visited most often during the 1990’s when I was often in Toronto on blood litigation and the Kreever Inquiry. Visits were less frequent in the 2000’s once our sons were at the University of Calgary and then became residents of the city.

I always enjoyed the store though the atmosphere was not the same when you moved to Millwood. I understood the commercial reasons for the move.

More recently I bought more books through email than in person. I appreciated the prompt service and your efforts to get books not easily available. I specifically remember your efforts to get a copy of Escape Velocity by Susan Wolfe when it did not have a Canadian distributor.

In the current location I felt I had more conversations with Marian. It seemed J.D. was often absorbed in golf. 

It was always a struggle for me to restrain myself in the store. Usually I woud get 5-6 books. If there were no weight restrictions on luggage for flights I would have bought more.

I have put up 6 posts on my blog about the store and a post on Marian winning the Derrick Murdoch Award from the Crime Writers of Canada. This letter will be my 8th post featuring Sleuth.

I never figured out whether I preferred recommendations more from J.D. or from Marian.

There was never any doubt you loved books. 

I continue to value the excitement of holding a new book and opening it to read the first page. The feel of a book is an important part of my reading experience.

I am sad the store is closing. I am not much for change. I would have been glad to keep buying books from you long into the future.

I am happy you are looking forward to retirement. I expect more golf courses and more cottage life await you.

Best wishes for the future.

Bill

****

Sleuth of Baker Street and Update on Sleuth and 2012 Trip to Sleuth and Sleuth of Baker Street in Mid-winter of 2015 and Authors at Sleuth and A Quintet from Sleuth and Marian Misters Bookseller and Award Winner in Toronto, Ontario whose website is http://www.sleuthofbakerstreet.ca/

4 comments:

  1. What a lovely letter, Bill. I am so sorry to hear the store is closing, though. We desperately need great bookshops, especially independent ones, and it's always a blow when one of them closes. I'm sure that they appreciated you and your family as much as you did them. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot: Thanks for the comment. It was a great store. The world of crime fiction is diminished by the end of Sleuth. I wish I could write of new stores but I do not see that happening.

      Delete
  2. Sigh. Indeed. Home to many and many a Canadian author book launch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan D: Thanks for the comment. A loss for authors as well as readers.

      Delete